PDA

View Full Version : Quick DIY Acrylic Question...

chasekwe
02/20/2010, 12:51 PM
Hey folks, I've been researching acrylic work a bit as I'm going to start work on my sump this weekend. I've never worked with acrylic before and I plan to use the "pins method" as outlined in a thread I found through Melevsreef started on this forum back in '03.This states in a clear easy to understand fashion how to get good joints with a horizontal seam.

However, I'm not sure how to do a vertical seam... Could anyone please just give me a quick rundown on how I am suppose to do a vertical bonding of acrylic? I have weldon #4 and #16 available.

Thank you. Just can't seem to find a video on youtube that shows a vertical seam being bonded. :confused:

Giannis86
02/20/2010, 12:58 PM
you have to turn the tank so that you can do it horizontally.
If you try it vertically the glue will run down the joint, it will only glue a very small area of the joint (if any at all) and it will collect in the bottom, ruining any other acrylic surface it may contact).

By the way, if you use weldon 4, do make sure that there is a good fit of the panels for the best result

ps: here is another great link to add to the info in melevs site
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Gopi_Making_an_Acrylic_Aquarium.html

chasekwe
02/20/2010, 01:02 PM
Ok thanks, so I build the entire top portion of the sump first and then apply all 4 sides at once to the bottom panel? That's gotta be quite a job to get all the glue in and pins out in under a minute... I'm gonna be positively sprinting around the tank.

Acrylics
02/20/2010, 01:14 PM
you have to turn the tank so that you can do it horizontally.
If you try it vertically the glue will run down the joint, it will only glue a very small area of the joint (if any at all) and it will collect in the bottom, ruining any other acrylic surface it may contact).

By the way, if you use weldon 4, do make sure that there is a good fit of the panels for the best result

ps: here is another great link to add to the info in melevs site
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Gopi_Making_an_Acrylic_Aquarium.htmlNo disagreements with what you said, but the article is epic idiocy. I would not follow any of what it said, so wrong in so many many places that it lacks any credibility IMO.

James