PDA

View Full Version : what can i do with this skimmer body?????

snowman82
02/20/2010, 01:08 PM
i have this skimmer body laying around its supposedly a pro clear aquatics skimmer. i'd like to use it but it has no pump not sure what kind of pump to use or if i can do anything else with it, here is a decent pic. the pump intake is pretty high up. it almost looks like a coralife SS 200. can i use it at all??

Mastermind
02/20/2010, 05:54 PM
Yeah, that looks like a Super Skimmer to me. FWIW, I just returned one to the place of purchase. Free though, I would've kept it. The question here is, are the price of a collection cup and a pump to run it going to be worth spending the money on?

snowman82
02/20/2010, 06:38 PM
oh i have the collection cup to it. the reason i dont think it is a super skimmer is the collection cup is just a slip on fitting, not a screw down.

Ricunger
02/20/2010, 06:48 PM
Yeah super skimmers are all screw down.

noobtothereef
02/20/2010, 07:06 PM
looks like an aqua c that i used to have, sucked

fasteddie99
02/20/2010, 07:09 PM
make a carbon reactor out of it , there are some good DIY videos on youtube. :reading:

maynardjames
02/21/2010, 02:11 AM
been trying to figure out something to build out of my 65 super skimmer i replaced 2 or three years ago. maybe i need to measure & see if i can make extended neck for my extreme out of it. cause it sure aint any good for skimming:)

snowman82
02/21/2010, 02:14 AM
what i never did understand is what made the super skimmers so bad? what was it in the design that killed them?

lordofthereef
02/21/2010, 08:32 AM
Gut it and make a reactor?

Gold Stripe
02/21/2010, 10:59 AM
If thats not a SS its made in the same factory with the same parts! Never seen one without a screw on cup but the rest is IDENTICAL.

SS got a bad rep because they are very sensative to change in water level and would overflow. They need very delicate tuning and any change in water level throws that off. People using them as hang on would have a mess from them when they overflowed due to evap or water changes or when the power went out and came back on so the name got trashed. Once you get a bad rep its over in this fickel marketplace.

I have an SS 125 that has worked flawlessly for years and does a great job but mine draws from a skimmer section with a constant water level that wont change regardless of evap or power outages.

snowman82
02/21/2010, 11:43 AM
but what in the design makes the skimmer so finicky though? thought about gutting it, and turning it into a recirculating skimmer. with a sicce pump or a sedra. get a gate valve for it instead of the turn nob??? any thoughts on that?