PDA

View Full Version : freshwater dip question

kenchen77
02/20/2010, 01:26 PM
Hi! Guys,

I recently did a fresh ro water dip to a bunch of corals for about 1 min each that had finished their quarantine period to be doubly sure that i do not introduce any hitchhikers into the display. The problem is that it has been a day so far and they have not opened though they had opened up completely in the qt. I maybe a little paranoid but i wanted to know if this is normal. The corals i have dipped so far are:

a) Sun Coral and there has been some peeling of tissue that i have noticed.
b) Closed brain corals and they also seem to be showing some peeling of tissue.
c) Zoos but they have started opening up.

I know that there are a few corals that cannot be dipped in fresh water, but is there a list somewhere of the corals that can be and cannot be dipped somewhere that i can refer to in the future so that i do not commit this mistake.

steelersfan
02/20/2010, 01:42 PM
IMO, if you plan on dipping your corals before placing them into your tank, I would not recommend a FW dip. Some people might feel differently, but there is no reason to do a FW dip. I would recommend using products, such as Revive. There are some other products that would work as well.
As far as your current corals, they are perhaps stressed out. I would leave them alone for now.

kenchen77
02/20/2010, 02:19 PM
IMO, if you plan on dipping your corals before placing them into your tank, I would not recommend a FW dip. Some people might feel differently, but there is no reason to do a FW dip. I would recommend using products, such as Revive. There are some other products that would work as well.
As far as your current corals, they are perhaps stressed out. I would leave them alone for now.

Hi Reza,

The problem is that i do not get revive in India, the reef hobby has not yet taken off here. It is tough for me to get the stuff that you guys are used to.

steelersfan
02/20/2010, 08:03 PM
I understand your point Kenneth, but IMO, it is not a good idea to do a FW dip on a new coral. I am sure that some people might not agree, but I have had good success with products, such as Revive. It is a fairly inexpensive product. Next time, you place an online order (e.g. Marine Depot or Drs. Foster and Smith) for supplies, you might consider purchasing a bottle of Revive. It is around $7.