PDA

View Full Version : Is this going to make it?

BIGTEXT
02/20/2010, 01:47 PM
Purchased this yesterday and it was doing great. All opened up and beautiful. I noticed my peppermint shrimp were crawling on it and picking through it, I just assumed they were eating the feather dusters that came on it. I woke to this. The big chunk at the bottom WAS filled with zoas. Something ate them. Are peppermint shrimp known to do this?

Other tank inhabitants (they're all doing well)

2 Clowns
1 Watchman Goby
1 Rainford goby
1 Blue legged hermit crab
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Pulsing Xenia

I noticed last night the crab walked over them but he didn't pick at them. The cleaner shrimp also walked over it a few times but he didn't really pick at it.

I must find who did this! That frag was expensive...

Thanks

bertoni
02/20/2010, 03:49 PM
I'd put the crab or the peppermint shrimp at the top of the list. What kind of crab is it?

Shane Hoffman
02/20/2010, 03:50 PM
You may have a rogue crab that only comes out at night. i would watch very closely over the next day. Just sit and stare at the tank for a few hours if you can. You will eventually see the culprit. I would also watch with a red lense falsh light after dark. Every 20 minutes or so go check on it with the red light....a regular light will work but the animals scatter fast if you hit them with a bright light. Make sure every light in the room is off.

Sk8r
02/20/2010, 04:17 PM
pep shrimp will pick at things briefly, but usually quit once they realize it's not aiptasia or anything that tastes like it. My money's on a crab or other crawling predator.

BIGTEXT
02/20/2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

I will be watching closely tonight. Funny thing is, I cant seem to find the hermit crab. Normally I can find him pretty quickly but he is no where to be found today.

I thought blue legged hermits were supposed to be reef safe though?

When do you guys think the zoas will open back up? Is there anything I can do to help it heal?

bertoni
02/20/2010, 04:51 PM
"Reef-safe" is a relative term. Blue leg hermits tend to be safe, except for snails, but there's always some risk. I wouldn't put the hermit very high on the suspects list, if that's the animal you were referencing in your first post.

lordofthereef
02/20/2010, 07:08 PM
I have never had a bit of luck with peppermint shrimp. I would just remove them myself.