PDA

View Full Version : Lab Study

drocks74
02/20/2010, 06:16 PM
I will be conducting a lab study during the next couple of months for the final series of biology classes I have been taking. Is there any suggestions you would like to make in terms of a scientific study in which you would like lab results and a scientific paper. I understand vodka dosing is the latest and greatest and have thought about conducting a study of various doses over the course of 6 weeks...and maybe the effect it would have on inverts (just a thought, I have never done it)
FYI, the tank setups will not have halides so animals needing high intensity lighting will not be a good idea. Also, the data will have to obtained in six weeks, must be repeatable by other scientists. There will probably be at least 12 tanks set up in order to obtain meaningful data.
Thanks guys for you input. I've been following your forums religiously for 5 years and couldnt have done this hobby without you.

bertoni
02/20/2010, 08:27 PM
What kind of measurement equipment would you have available to you?

drocks74
02/20/2010, 08:29 PM
We'll have pretty much everything available since this is conducted at a college. The study needs to be high in acedemic levels, and needs to be something in which there has not been a lot of scientific studies already conducted.

luther1200
02/21/2010, 12:07 AM
You know what would be great I think. If you could do a study on Macroalgae. If you could somehow determine exactly how much PO4 and NO3 each type uses to grow. And how much O2 they produce, and how much CO2 they use, stuff like that. If any supplements help, if they get adsorbed and to what degree. What is the optimal photo period, and if any color K bulbs are more efficient than others. I think that would be a great benefit to the hobby, and very interesting. I have seen very few studies like this.

My second would be a study on skimmers. this could be expensive thoug, having to buy multiple skimmers to test. Cone Vs. standard, and wet Vs. dry skimmate, which removes more organics, and to what degree.

Third would be a study on denitrification. Were does it occur in the aquarium? How shallow and how much occurs in sand beds Vs. live rock. Different grades of sand, with different flow over the sand. I think that would be a good study. There was 1 like it, but thats the only 1 I know of. But it was just sand, no live rock. And I don't think they had different flow patterns in the tanks. I think it will be more realistic with LR and flow.

7hogwarts
02/21/2010, 06:26 AM
I understand for scientific validity it must be duplicatable, but there are so many variables in reef keeping. I don't think it could realistically be done without HUGE expense. Afterall, what seems to work great for one reefer doesn't work at all for the next.

HighlandReefer
02/21/2010, 07:13 AM
A study on the efficacy of the bacterial supplements used in our hobby. :)

This seems to be a new and upcoming trend for many hobbyists. I have seen no real data to support that the products out there actually contain what they advertise, nor any data on whether the bacteria actually do what they claim. There are no government checks and balances to test the products being sold. We are at the mercy of the manufacturers. Most hobbyists can't perform the needed tests themselves. ;)

There was one study performed too many years ago by a university, however it was being paid for by one of the manufacturers:

Evaluation of Commercial Products for the Removal of Nitrogenous Waste Products from Water
http://www.bioconlabs.com/bacteval.html

Of course Fritz-Zyme was the manufacturer paying for the study. :lol:

This study leads me to believe that none of these products do what they claim & hobbyists are just wasting their hard earned money. Prove me wrong. :D

FWIW, EPA performs efficacy tests on bacteria products labeled as pesticides used in agricultural and structural pest control and frequently recalls these products due to various problems. Bacterial products which are not labeled as pesticides are not under the jurisdiction of EPA. :(

One other arm twister: The use of bacterial products IMHO is going to have a major impact on our hobby in the future and should provide plenty of opportunities.

luther1200
02/21/2010, 01:54 PM
That would be a good study Cliff, I agree.