PDA

View Full Version : Help ID please.

The Codfather
02/21/2010, 03:15 PM
Hey guys, wondering if you can help me out. I just got this octo, and was wondering if you can help ID. It is very hard to get a pic of this little guy, he only shows his face when it is dark in the tank. I don't have much experience with octo's, but the person I got it from did not want him anymore. He/she has fed for the last 3 days on hermits I put in the tank. Roughly 3" in diameter, the body being no bigger than my pinky finger.
I know I am a rookie at this but, I have started to do some reading and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction, Thanks,
Bob
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt252/codfather_2009/IMG_0369.jpg

Lmecher
02/21/2010, 05:45 PM
My best guess would be one of the dwarf speccies O. mercatoris or O. joubini. For a positive ID post on Tonmo.com in the identification forum. Very nice little octopus you got there :inlove:

The Codfather
02/21/2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks, I will try to get a better pic. he changes to some crazy reds when he it about to eat a hermit. He is already at the top of the tank at times, almost looks like he is trying to find a way out. I will try to get a couple of good shots before posting on Tonmo, thanks again.

romsoccer12
02/21/2010, 06:16 PM
keep a good tight lid with no escape routes. make sure your rock can be thrown around cuz he can get crushed. keep your params nice and keep him in a species tank. all i really know, gl with it and keep pics comin

Octoshark
02/21/2010, 06:41 PM
make sure your rock can be thrown around cuz he can get crushed.

Just to clarify, I believe he meant to make sure it can't be thrown around or he may get crushed. ;)

Kates
03/04/2010, 11:44 AM
How does he get the hermit out of its shell? Or does he just eat 'em whole, shell included?

The Codfather
03/04/2010, 03:14 PM
With a little help from my side cutters. I remove the shell before i drop the hermit in.

Lmecher
03/09/2010, 11:02 PM
I just got a dwarf today. Most people feed thawed shrimp on a feeding stick. For live, their favorite is fiddlers. You mention red, that is a commonly displayed color in O. mercatoris. They are nocturnal, they have never been known to come out in the daytime w/lights on, is yours nocturnal? Have you posted in Tonmo.com yet?
You needn't remove the shell, they are very capable.

5h3rW1N
03/10/2010, 01:01 PM
quick question how much do those guys go for???

5h3rW1N
03/10/2010, 01:05 PM
nevermind i found how much they are thanks

Lmecher
03/11/2010, 03:42 PM
Much less than you'd think. Avaliability is the biggest drawback, as I sit waiting for mine : )

The Codfather
03/11/2010, 11:27 PM
Ya, most time's I see him is when the moon lights are on. I think to begin with he was very hungry, hence why I saw him quite often. He had a meal of a small damsel the other day, and I have not seen him since.