PDA

View Full Version : Switch sands....

FavaBean
02/21/2010, 05:14 PM
I have a six gallon that has been set up for a year and I would like to switch the sand... from a agro sand to a sugar sand... what would be the best way to do it... I was thinking about taking all the current sand out and slowly adding the new sand... anyone have suggestions... thanks

Aquarist007
02/21/2010, 05:19 PM
glue a funnel to a 2 inch piece of pvc pipe. This will allow you to direct the sand to the bottom of the tank. Add the sugar fine sand dry or else it will turn to cement in the pipe.
As long as you add between 1/2 and one inch you will be fine in covering the existing bed

terri_ann
02/21/2010, 05:40 PM
What will be important is to have your existing sand 'seed' the new sand. There are several ways in which you could do it. If you choose to not use Capn's suggestion, you could remove 1/2 of the old sand and replace it with half the new. Then after a week or so, remove the remaining and replace with the new. Try not to disturb the old sand too much so as to keep the water quality as good as possible.

lordofthereef
02/21/2010, 06:28 PM
IMO there is nothing wrong with just removing all the old and adding all new and not really seeding it at all. I think you will get plenty of seeding over time from your live rock. I say this not to go against what already has been said, but to point out that you could surely go that route. I assume this change is aesthetic and if you are like me it would drive you crazy to even see a small mix of the two differing sand grains.

FavaBean
02/21/2010, 06:43 PM
I think everyones ideas sound great... I am leaning towards just removing all the old sand and putting in the new sand... I am just wanting this for the look... thanks everyone... any other thoughts welcomed