PDA

View Full Version : Radiums and PFO ballasts

ctniners
02/22/2010, 08:06 AM
Hi Guys,
In about 3 or months I am planning on replacing my 2 x 250W Hamilton bulbs (moguls), right now I have 2 x 250W PFO ballasts (I believe PFO ballasts are magnetic)......would the Radium bulbs work with these ballasts or should I make plans on replacing the ballasts also?

Before I upgraded I had a JBJ 28gal with a Radium and the colors and crispiness were great so I want to get that in my new tank.

Thanks for your inputs.

karsco
02/22/2010, 08:17 AM
CT,

I don't think that ballast will fire the Radium, I just went through the same thing. I have a hamilton fixture as well and it would not fire the radium, so I went with a 250W Galaxy ballast, Lumen Bright reflector and the 20K Radium bulb. Good luck!

Kshack
02/22/2010, 10:04 AM
I have the 2X250 PFO ballast and it fires my Radium just fine. PFO made several types of ballasts and you need to know which you have. You need a "Pulse Start" mag ballast, or any electronic. If your sticker on the outside is not giving any information, open it up and look at the ballast parts....call mfg (of parts) if needed.

ctniners
02/22/2010, 12:20 PM
Kshack, what am i looking for in the ballasts?....do u have a picture of the sticker on your PFO ballast you can share?...does your sticker says PULSE?....thanks

Kshack
02/22/2010, 10:30 PM
Some PFO ballasts had a sticker which listed several (10?) different ballast possibility and they placed a mark on the one that they were making. I was not able to read mine (worn off) so I opened up the ballast and called the mfg (Canada) of the transformer and they told me it was for a Pulse Start. Just gave them the numbers printed on the internal parts.

mordibv
02/23/2010, 12:33 AM
If it is pulse start . Look inside you will see three parts . If you see two then it's just the commom cap and transformer ? The third part is a igniter . There is a metal halide sticky on this forum somewhere with identification # of ballast and that they mean .. EG M59, M135 etc .

HTH