PDA

View Full Version : Evaporation rates

travis32
02/22/2010, 08:56 AM
So, what is relatively "normal" evaporation rates.

I realize this is a very ambiguous question. I have a 55 gallon tank with a 14 gallon sump and around 80 pounds of LR.

I'm noticing around a half gallon to a gallon a day. Some days seem more, some days are less.

I've noticed some say their 40 gallon tanks have 3 gallons a day evaporation and it seems so random. I also realize there's nothing I can probably do to increase or decrease evaporation rate. Just wondering what some of the environmental variables are that determine the evaporation rate. E.g. outdoor atmosphere? Indoor room temp? lighting, temp of water? Flow of water into sump?

I'm not looking to change anything just curious on what is a healthy evaporation rate?

HighlandReefer
02/22/2010, 09:21 AM
I would say your evaporation rate is normal. ;)

Many factors effect your evaporation rate (many you have stated).

Water surface area, temperature, humidity, water turn over rate at the surface & air circulation between the inside and outside of your home are some of the major factors.

Too much water evaporation can lead to significant problems with molds, mildews and fungi damage to your home interior. :(

travis32
02/22/2010, 09:36 AM
Eek.. Didn't even think about the home damage.. Thanks... I think. ;)
I live in North Dakota and as such our winters make our homes very low on the humidity scale.. Around 20% humidity, maybe 30% achieved with a 24 /7 humidifier. I had a humidifier running for awhile and it put out around 7 to 8 gallons a day and still raised the humidity to 30 % or so.. (Comfortable humidity for humans and reducing being electricuted by static electricity is around 45 to 50% humidity).

I wondered if the room humidity would cause the aquarium to evaporate faster if it's really dry. (Sorta like a pond in a desert... LOL)

In the summer here though it's usually really humid (up to 80 to 90% humidity) and requires dehumidifiers to keep from dieing of allergies. LOL. So, I'm interesting in seeing the impact of seasonal atmospheric humidities. If the air is saturated with water, will aquarium evaporation still occur at a steady pace or will the gas exchange slow down?

What impact does that have on the exchange of ammonia and carbon in the water with oxygen? I'll find out this summer, I'm starting to find learning interesting. LOL.

Chris27
02/22/2010, 09:38 AM
That sounds perfectly fine....FWIW, folks with MH's close to the surface of the water tend to evap the most daily.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/22/2010, 12:22 PM
Most folks find their systems evaporate 1-4% of the tank volume daily. :)

vbsaltydog
02/22/2010, 12:33 PM
I have 54g w/10g sump and 60lbs LR so we are pretty close in water volume.

I lose approx. 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon daily. I drip kalkwasser at a rate of 1 drop every 3 seconds through standard airline tubing and it holds my water level very steady.