PDA

View Full Version : Clown suggestions for a 220 gallong tank?

ReefWaters
02/22/2010, 10:03 AM
I have a 220 gallon display with a LOT of swimming room. Here's my build thread. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1195407&highlight=reefwaters+sun+room+reef)

The current system was upgraded from a 50 gallon cube and has been running in its current state for about a year and a half.

I really want a nice anemone and mated clown pair. I have had decent luck with perculas and ocellaris in the past as well as some luck with bubble tips but I have never had luck getting a pair of clowns to host an anemone. I know that most of my problem has been that percs and ocs dont prefer bubble tips.

Can anyone suggest any GOOD articles on Maroon clowns and the anemone species that they naturally host with? Also, Id love to hear some feedback and personal experience keeping a pair of Maroons. My tank should be large enough I would think.

Id love some suggestions on GOOD articles for perculas and ocellaris as well and any suggestions you might have.

I want to take my time and really research these three species before pulling the trigger on anything.

elegance coral
02/22/2010, 11:08 AM
This is about the best source for technical data you will find. IMHO.
http://www.nhm.ku.edu/inverts/ebooks/intro.html

jonbry123
02/22/2010, 11:40 AM
The Maroon clowns are a great choice for your size tank. Their natural host is the Bubble tip anemone. Be aware though that they can become extremely agressive and are known to attack and shread their host on occasion. I have had them off and on over the years and yes they do become belligerent especially if they are hosting. They are also the largest of the clowns reaching 6 inches in lenght. I just picked one up over the weekend and it is a male and is just beautiful. He is a a yellow striped morph with his fins very dark maroon and half black. I've never seen a color morph like that. If your going to have agressive fish this one can usually hold their own.

Bryan

ReefWaters
02/23/2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks Bryan,

I like the idea that they will host bubble tips. Would you suggest getting the anemone first and letting it settle in before getting the clowns? Or would they help each other acclimate if I got them at the same time?

I think I read that Maroons need to be purchased as a pair and not introduced at separate times? Have you heard that? Are they not as easy to pair in the home aquarium as perculas and ocellaris?

Finally, I know they are the most aggressive of the clowns, but do they stray far from their anemone to bother other fish or do they only bother fish who come into their territory? Do you know how large of an area they tend to take over?