PDA

View Full Version : Best way to protect the wood?

Edward Smith
02/22/2010, 01:42 PM
I have a zero edge tank on a home made oak veneer cabinet.

http://www.zeroedgeaquarium.com/22zr/

Between the high humidity and frequent water drips, the wood looks worn along the top and has lightened the stain.

I'm going to give it a light sanding (veneer, so very light) and re-stain. What is the best option to protect the wood? Usual polyurethane, just with many coats?

Thanks,

MayoBoy
02/22/2010, 02:49 PM
I used orange shellac on mine and after 6 years, it's holding up fine. If you get a lot of water on it, you might look at a long oil spar varnish. As a general rule, I don't care for poly because it doesn't amalgamate into the previous coat but if you sand well between coats, you should be fine. The other option would be epoxy like West System.

MayoBoy
02/22/2010, 03:19 PM
Also, do you have any sort of top cap or is it just veneer over plywood (or whatever)?

Edward Smith
02/22/2010, 09:41 PM
Just veneer over plywood

CWP
02/23/2010, 01:35 AM
Marine varnish. I've used it with great success. You might have a problem with that veneer, however, since it is only 1/16" thick or so.

MayoBoy
02/23/2010, 06:09 AM
I'd definitely put some sort of solid cap around the perimeter to shed the water and then follow up as above. A "U" shaped channel cap would be best and you could mill it yourself pretty easily. Attach it with Titebond III and you're golden.

Of course, if you've made it from marine grade plywood or MDO, you don't have to worry about it but if it's regular furniture grade plywood, all it will take is a little opening to start the delamination process.

Edward Smith
02/24/2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks all!

NanoReefWanabe
02/24/2010, 09:32 PM
hehehehe protect your wood....

a nice layer of epoxy will do the job i think...