PDA

View Full Version : hitchhiker pistol shrimp ID

LobsterOfJustice
02/22/2010, 10:06 PM
This shrimp came in on some pacific rock. Two main questions - Is it safe for the tank (not predatory, dangerous when bigger, etc), and if its safe, will it be symbiotic with shrimp gobies?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/LobsterOfJustice/IMG_4676.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/LobsterOfJustice/IMG_4677.jpg

geffhardy2
02/23/2010, 01:52 AM
I can't really tell but it looks like a tiger pistal shrimp I have 2 of them in my 55gal. My experience with pistal shrimp is once they find a rock to live under they pretty much stay their. Your not going to see the pistal walking around the tank looking for fights. They are very cool to watch so I recommend getting a goby to see them in action. A pistal shrimp is not itself without a goby and a goby is not them self with out a pistal shrimp. I can never wait around and see if they pair up on their so I usally help the goby find the pistals burrow. So if you were to put the pistal in your tank once he is settled in try to get a watchmen or a high-fin goby. (High-fin gobies are more active then watchmens) I've had 4 pistal shrimp and they all matched up pretty easy. If you buy a goby try to put him in right next to the pistal for a easy meetting. You might here a few clicking sounds.

geffhardy2
02/23/2010, 01:54 AM
I can't really tell but it looks like a tiger pistal shrimp I have 2 of them in my 55gal. My experience with pistal shrimp is once they find a rock to live under they pretty much stay their. Your not going to see the pistal walking around the tank looking for fights. They are very cool to watch so I recommend getting a goby to see them in action. A pistal shrimp is not itself without a goby and a goby is not them self with out a pistal shrimp. I can never wait around and see if they pair up on their so I usally help the goby find the pistals burrow. So if you were to put the pistal in your tank once he is settled in try to get a watchmen or a high-fin goby. (High-fin gobies are more active then watchmens) I've had 4 pistal shrimp and they all matched up pretty easy. If you buy a goby try to put him in right next to the pistal for a easy meetting. You might here a few clicking sounds. I should also add I had to pay $20 a piece for mines and sometimes you can't find them for months.

mak3mydae
02/23/2010, 02:16 AM
I can't really tell but it looks like a tiger pistal shrimp I have 2 of them in my 55gal. My experience with pistal shrimp is once they find a rock to live under they pretty much stay their. Your not going to see the pistal walking around the tank looking for fights. They are very cool to watch so I recommend getting a goby to see them in action. A pistal shrimp is not itself without a goby and a goby is not them self with out a pistal shrimp. I can never wait around and see if they pair up on their so I usally help the goby find the pistals burrow. So if you were to put the pistal in your tank once he is settled in try to get a watchmen or a high-fin goby. (High-fin gobies are more active then watchmens) I've had 4 pistal shrimp and they all matched up pretty easy. If you buy a goby try to put him in right next to the pistal for a easy meetting. You might here a few clicking sounds. I should also add I had to pay $20 a piece for mines and sometimes you can't find them for months.

No offence, but how are you so sure that they pair up with goby's? Alot of pistols dont. I wouldnt personally try to pair up a goby with this pistol until you get a definate ID on it. Sorry im not much more help

LobsterOfJustice
02/28/2010, 09:08 PM
Bump. Poor guys been sitting in a cup for like a week now.

a.stebel
02/28/2010, 09:44 PM
Looks like a Tiger Pistol to me. I have mine in a reef, no problem at all. Digs tunnels all over the place. Excellent for keeping the sand bed stirred up. Quite interesting to watch moving sand. If you have a peninsula tank it would be best, as he might always be on the back side of the tank.

LeslieH
03/01/2010, 12:47 AM
That's not a tiger. It looks like a rock dwelling alpheid rather than one of the goby symbionts.

LobsterOfJustice
03/01/2010, 09:39 AM
Makes sense that its rock dwelling as we found a bunch of them in with a rock shipment. Are they okay to put in the tank despite not being symbiotic?

ROB2005
03/01/2010, 11:18 AM
You can, they will do some sandscaping to make burrows under rocks, but you wont see them shoveling sand constantly like the Tiger Pistol.

LeslieH
03/01/2010, 11:35 AM
Rock dwelling alpheids prefer to live in crevices inside rocks. It's relatively harmless except to smaller organisms like worms and detritus. Once you put it back in it will make a beeline for the rocks and stay there. You'll hear it but may not ever see it again.