PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy water and temperature

Matt0676
02/23/2010, 08:14 AM
I was wondering if low water temperature can extend the amount of time it takes for a new tank to clear up. The heater broke in the move so I am sitting at 69 degrees right now, I am going to buy new heaters today.

It has been 36 hrs since I filled the tank and it seems to be at a standstill. I started with new Aragonite as my substrate but rinsed it thoroughly.

Thoughts?

stingythingy45
02/23/2010, 08:23 AM
Was that rock live?
If so you may have killed off some of the inhabitants with this low temp.
But,that's no biggie,imo,it will just help just start the cycle.
I'd get a heater ...asap... and get it at least to 78 deg.

Matt0676
02/23/2010, 08:55 AM
Was that rock live?
If so you may have killed off some of the inhabitants with this low temp.
But,that's no biggie,imo,it will just help just start the cycle.
I'd get a heater ...asap... and get it at least to 78 deg.

Yes, it was live rock. I am going to buy a heater as soon as the LFS opens.
Do you think it will take long to clear up?

mcoomer
02/23/2010, 09:10 AM
Every tank is different because of plumbing, flow, substrate, life on the rock, etc so it's difficult to tell you how long it's going to take for it to clear. Get a heater (or two for backup) in there, get the temp up, and be patient. A little bit of patience at this stage will pay huge dividends later.

Mike

Matt0676
02/23/2010, 09:12 AM
Every tank is different because of plumbing, flow, substrate, life on the rock, etc so it's difficult to tell you how long it's going to take for it to clear. Get a heater (or two for backup) in there, get the temp up, and be patient. A little bit of patience at this stage will pay huge dividends later.

Mike

No problem, I am not in a hurry. I just want to make sure I have taken the right steps to get the cycle going.

At what point do I seed the current sand with my existing sand from my nano?

orion1
02/23/2010, 09:13 AM
I used a filter sock for a few days when I set up my new tank that helped pull some of the extremely fine particulate out of the water then I removed the sock and have not put it back on the system

Matt0676
02/23/2010, 09:18 AM
I used a filter sock for a few days when I set up my new tank that helped pull some of the extremely fine particulate out of the water then I removed the sock and have not put it back on the system

Great idea, they go over the drain pipes right?

Sorry, I am new at this.

stingythingy45
02/23/2010, 09:35 AM
No problem, I am not in a hurry. I just want to make sure I have taken the right steps to get the cycle going.

At what point do I seed the current sand with my existing sand from my nano?

I would get the temp up/consistant to around what your nano is running at first.Then seed the sand with some from the the nano.
You're new to this,but have a nano tank?

Matt0676
02/23/2010, 09:38 AM
I would get the temp up/consistant to around what your nano is running at first.Then seed the sand with some from the the nano.
You're new to this,but have a nano tank?

I'm new at cycling a tank from scratch. My nano was purchased established from the LFS, all I had to do was bring it home, fill it, and plug it in. I really didn't learn much.

stingythingy45
02/23/2010, 09:52 AM
I'm new at cycling a tank from scratch. My nano was purchased established from the LFS, all I had to do was bring it home, fill it, and plug it in. I really didn't learn much.

Well,you've found a great resource here.
Just :reading: up and take it slow.You might even have to get the cycle started by adding something organic like a dead raw cocktail shrimp if ammonia doesn't become detectable soon.

Matt0676
02/23/2010, 09:57 AM
Well,you've found a great resource here.
Just :reading: up and take it slow.You might even have to get the cycle started by adding something organic like a dead raw cocktail shrimp if ammonia doesn't become detectable soon.

I agree, the members here on RC have been soooooo helpful! I wouldn't have made it this far without all of the advice.

I see you are in MA, what part? I grew up in Braintree

stingythingy45
02/23/2010, 10:04 AM
I agree, the members here on RC have been soooooo helpful! I wouldn't have made it this far without all of the advice.

I see you are in MA, what part? I grew up in Braintree

I'm out in Worc. county(S. Central).
We're expecting 3-5 inches of snow tonight.:celeb1:

Matt0676
02/23/2010, 10:08 AM
I'm out in Worc. county(S. Central).
We're expecting 3-5 inches of snow tonight.:celeb1:

Geez, you guys are having a tough winter this year. Good luck with the snow and thanks for the help. I am off to buy the heater!!

Sk8r
02/23/2010, 10:10 AM
lethality starts at about 62 degrees.
Just remember 1) rock and sand hold temperature longer, so will retard fall or rise.
2) lower temp = slower chemical processes; higher temp accelerates processes, up to point of upper lethality, around 85. Keep your tank at about 80 for best results.