PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing my overflow... A few questions?

Saltcity
02/23/2010, 09:21 PM
I'm getting ready to install a glass holes overflow... the 1500gph model. It calls for drilling two holes to fit double 1.5" bulkheads for the overflow. I will be flowing about 700-750gph through the sump and I'm sure that one of the 1.5" bulkheads is more than enough to flow that amount. Do you see any problem if I just drill for the one overflow line instead of both of them? Only thing I can think of is that with only one bulkhead installed, the overflow box could be bumped and not stay completely level but thats an easy fix if it happened.

I was also wondering what is the quietest way to dump the water from the overflow into the sump? I was thinking of running the overflow plumbing under the water since it is vented at the top elbow but not sure how it would do that way.

The reason I didn't buy the smaller overflow that glass holes sells is because at the time I had planned on going with a little bigger return pump but have since changed it...

Saltcity
02/23/2010, 09:54 PM
Does anyone have a link to a good headloss calculator? The one on Reefcentral is not working correctly....

raoul
02/23/2010, 10:39 PM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/5/aafeature2

I downloaded this today. It works, but I can't vouch for its accuracy.

Saltcity
02/23/2010, 11:02 PM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/5/aafeature2

I downloaded this today. It works, but I can't vouch for its accuracy.

Thanks!

Matt Wilkie
02/23/2010, 11:37 PM
why max out your drain size? Back up is always a good idea, what if you get some algea build up. I don't think anyone will recomend just drilling just the one whole.

Saltcity
02/24/2010, 07:45 AM
why max out your drain size? Back up is always a good idea, what if you get some algea build up. I don't think anyone will recomend just drilling just the one whole.

Well, thats a good point..... Thats why I'm asking before I do it!:beer:

austin93
02/24/2010, 08:58 AM
2 holes will be quieter than the 1. The more water you drain the louder it will be generally speaking.

Saltcity
02/24/2010, 10:02 AM
2 holes will be quieter than the 1. The more water you drain the louder it will be generally speaking.

I was talking about down in the sump area... My last sump had the overflow pipe half in the water and half out for venting but this system has a vent at the DT so I was going to just run the overflow pipes under the water....