PDA

View Full Version : newbie lighting question

scomar31
02/23/2010, 10:42 PM
I have been doing a lot of research for my 90 gallon build and I have decided to go with T5's over MH's. Since I have a 24" deep tank will a 6 bulb fixture allow me to grow sps and lps or should I look for a 8 bulb?

Also, I heard that if you have MH's your electric bill could increase $60 to $100 per month depending on your local rates and stuff, does that sound correct?

Thanks,

reefsahoy
02/23/2010, 10:56 PM
i originally had a 90 with tek 6 bulb and i kept sps with colors but thought i could use a little more power. i'd go with 8 bulbs. i think $60 to $100 is high for mh. i now use MH and i don't think the electric bill is $20 more/month. the biggest consumption for power believe it or not is the pumps. if you have a inefficient pump you'll eat $ for electric.

Saltcity
02/23/2010, 11:08 PM
I would go with the 8 bulb also....

There is a formula to see how much power your using.... I just don't know it:)
I've seen it on here before but you just take the hours you use your halides in a day times the days in a month and then times your local electric rate per ..... I think its Kilowatt Hour!?!? Anywho, basically the rate your charged per hour for the wattage your lights use.

rtparty
02/24/2010, 12:50 AM
You only need a six bulb over a standard 90. 8 bulbs does not give you more light in a given area. It just gives more light over a larger area if that makes sense. The "rule" is one bulb for every 3", front to back. Therefore with your tank being 18" (assuming) front to back then 6 bulbs is all you need. Just make sure to get a good fixture with good bulbs if you want SPS.

The 6x54W ATI Sunpower will let you keep whatever you want in your tank.

I really like 4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 KZ Fiji Purple and 1 GE 6500K for bulbs.