PDA

View Full Version : dripping kalk @ rapid rate

Tropix
02/24/2010, 12:12 AM
currently my system is just has live rock and 1 hermit, 1 sea star and crab and I know I I like do very long cycles, at about 8 months and just started dripping kalk now, dripping every 1.5 seconds @ 2.5 gal. When the 2.5 gal is finished I wait about 3-4 day's and do this again at the same rate. I have no corals, no fish, 60 gal, drilled w/ sump 40lbs LR.

:hmm3:

I run the lights now 10 hours a day, 5 gal water change once a week. Lights are 4 55watt PW 2 10k 2attinc, the 150watt hqi's not sure if I should turn on yet or not, until I have corals that need this much light.

Michael
02/24/2010, 12:33 AM
no corals? then why drip kalk? only use kalk if you need to maintain calcium and ph, 1 drip every couple of seconds is usually ok, depending on demand will be the factor as how much is dosed and over what period of time. its dangerous to use if your not sure what to dose, be careful, and id stop for now, theres no need to use it at the moment.

langtudatinh01
02/24/2010, 01:20 AM
yeah, i would not use it if there is no demand from the tank. as for dripping fast, you can do it if you drip the solution into the sump at the return pump station. the fast moving water will disolve the solution so quick i never have problem with dripping it fast. as long as you know the demand of the livestock of course.

Tropix
02/24/2010, 01:28 AM
I am doing it for the Coraline algae and i will be putting the coral in soon.

lordofthereef
02/24/2010, 01:38 AM
Are you doing any water testing? I would bet your parameters are just fine for coralline and corals. What is your PH like?

Tropix
02/24/2010, 11:43 AM
Are you doing any water testing? I would bet your parameters are just fine for coralline and corals. What is your PH like?

I need to do testing today, what testing should be done aside from the basics, PH and CA and ak and anything else?

dripping kalk right now is a waste of time if I am not going to be adding corals soon, I may and i may not be?

Toddrtrex
02/24/2010, 12:08 PM
Most likely, at this point water changes will keep your Cal, Alk, and Mag in check. Later on, you may have to start dripping kalk again.

However, you could just fill up your kalk reservoir with plain RO/DI water and use it to top off your tank.

VacavilleFC3S
02/24/2010, 01:16 PM
don't fuel the coralline, you want it now but you'll be scraping it off everything and hating it in just a few months,

Tropix
02/24/2010, 04:08 PM
testing ph mg ca alk

garzaci
02/24/2010, 06:41 PM
unless you have an extreme build up of corralline yu probby don't have enough of a demandto require dripping kalk.

waxy
02/24/2010, 07:49 PM
I use kalk on my system like no tomorrow.

1 table spoon, mix it in a gallon of water then pour it all in there :)

Water becomes milky, so milky the visiblity is only 7 inches away.

I do this daily.

I wouldn't recommend kalk if you don't have anything demanding CA as much as SPS's and certain LPS's.

Kalk is a great way to maintain your PH as well.