PDA

View Full Version : Is a 1 1/4" durso ok for my setup?

galoot
02/24/2010, 04:18 PM
Hello,

My tank came drilled for what I thought was a 1 1/2" drain and 1" return. The only bulkheads that will fit are Sch80 1 1/4" and 3/4" return. I could get a sch40 bulkhead for the drain only that would be 1 1/2", but it would need to be ordered, shipped, etc...

My return pump is an ATB Flowstar 1500. Not sure if I should run 3/4" all the way on the return or bump it up to 1" then reduce at the bulkhead. Either way my main concern is the drain.

Will the 1 1/4" durso do the job, effectively and quiet? I don't want any issues. If I must, I'll buy the parts to make it a 1 1/2" drain.

Thanks

uncleof6
02/24/2010, 04:44 PM
A 1.25" durso, will not flow enough reliably, noise and bubble free, for that size pump. You could bump the durso size up to 1.5", but still you will most likely on reliably flow ~320 gph. Dursos are low flow devices, they were a good idea-- when they first came on the scene. But for higher flow rates you need to look at siphon systems.

Jim

galoot
02/24/2010, 05:28 PM
I thought a 1.5" durso was good for alot more flow?

What should I do then? I have room in the overflow to drill out another hole if need be. I think I could fit in another 1" bulkhead.

Then I could do a siphon and durso and the return.

What size should they all be?

billdogg
02/24/2010, 06:44 PM
A 1.5" drain will SAFELY handle ~ 980gph. It is a 1" drain that will only go to about 350gph. Yes, either can be made to flow much more (a full siphon), but then you leave NO margin for error unless you use other "emergency" backups, which requires more drilling of the tank.

I would go with the schd 40 1.5. If by chance you find your pump is still too much, a simple ball or gate valve in the return can easily reduce the flow to a more manageable level, and with many pumps, gives the added bonus of using less electricity.

for a reference to back up what I have said, please refer to the chart below.

galoot
02/24/2010, 07:16 PM
I do have room to drill and it's not to late. I could probably fit another 1.5" bulkhead if needed. I don't want any issues with this tank!!!!!

Then should I do a "Herbie" style setup? One gated full siphon and and emerg drain of some sort maybe a smaller durso or another open drain?

Since I might have to drill anyway, should I leave my return at 3/4" or bump it up to 1"

das75
02/24/2010, 07:36 PM
I do have room to drill and it's not to late. I could probably fit another 1.5" bulkhead if needed. I don't want any issues with this tank!!!!!

Then should I do a "Herbie" style setup? One gated full siphon and and emerg drain of some sort maybe a smaller durso or another open drain?

Since I might have to drill anyway, should I leave my return at 3/4" or bump it up to 1"

Go Herbie, both the primary and backup can be simple out top standpipes.

If you're re-drilling might as well bump up the 3/4 to 1", won't hurt.

as for bulkhead size, thought the mantra was 1" = 600 gph (here (http://reefcentral.com/index.php/drainoverflow-size-calc))

galoot
02/24/2010, 09:05 PM
Go Herbie, both the primary and backup can be simple out top standpipes.

If you're re-drilling might as well bump up the 3/4 to 1", won't hurt.

as for bulkhead size, thought the mantra was 1" = 600 gph (here (http://reefcentral.com/index.php/drainoverflow-size-calc))

So go with two open top standpipes of 1.5" one primary, one emergency? The primary gated of course.

I wonder what flow I'll really see from my return pump. It's an ATB Flowstar 1500. Figure 6' of head through 3/4 or 1" pipe.

uncleof6
02/24/2010, 10:23 PM
A 1.5" drain will SAFELY handle ~ 980gph. It is a 1" drain that will only go to about 350gph. Yes, either can be made to flow much more (a full siphon), but then you leave NO margin for error unless you use other "emergency" backups, which requires more drilling of the tank.

I would go with the schd 40 1.5. If by chance you find your pump is still too much, a simple ball or gate valve in the return can easily reduce the flow to a more manageable level, and with many pumps, gives the added bonus of using less electricity.

for a reference to back up what I have said, please refer to the chart below.

A 1.5" full siphon will safely flow 3000 gph and then some, but we are not talking about "safe" we are talking about reliability. The overwhelming volume of information available on Durso standpipes, clearly shows that the RELIABLE flow rate falls in the range I stated above. Flow through a bulkhead is in no way related to flow through a Durso. The interaction of the water with the standpipe must also be taken into consideration. Flow through an open hole with 2" of head pressure is considerable also, but doesn't take into account the interaction with the standpipe either. Air/water mix standpipes will not flow higher without issues.

Regards,

Jim

galoot
02/25/2010, 12:04 AM
A 1.5" full siphon will safely flow 3000 gph and then some, but we are not talking about "safe" we are talking about reliability. The overwhelming volume of information available on Durso standpipes, clearly shows that the RELIABLE flow rate falls in the range I stated above. Flow through a bulkhead is in no way related to flow through a Durso. The interaction of the water with the standpipe must also be taken into consideration. Flow through an open hole with 2" of head pressure is considerable also, but doesn't take into account the interaction with the standpipe either. Air/water mix standpipes will not flow higher without issues.

Regards,

Jim

Jim,

If this was your tank what would you do to make it reliable and quiet?

Mel-E-Mel
02/25/2010, 01:06 AM
Will be following this thread. I'm also debating on going dual 1" or dual 1 1/2" herbie style drains with 1" return.

uncleof6
02/25/2010, 01:21 AM
Will be following this thread. I'm also debating on going dual 1" or dual 1 1/2" herbie style drains with 1" return.

If you can do three standpipes, and the return over the back, you will be way further ahead of the game. The Bean system self-adjusts, which comes in real handy at times, as variables do vary.......

The size depends on the highest flow rate you are going to want. If you are @ 1200 + or - (maybe 1500 'variables') the 1" will work, if you are up in the 3000 range-- recommend the 1.5" ;) Can't really see running 1.5" full siphons, if you are below 1000 gph, kinda overkill. Durso's, are a different story altogether though.

Jim

fishysteve
02/25/2010, 10:24 AM
Are the existing holes in the bottom or the back?

Mel-E-Mel
02/25/2010, 12:09 PM

Regards,

Jim

Jim, What would you recommend for a 100 gallon tank? 3 stand pipes may be overkill? Thinking of using eheim 1262 for return.

uncleof6
02/25/2010, 07:50 PM
Jim, What would you recommend for a 100 gallon tank? 3 stand pipes may be overkill? Thinking of using eheim 1262 for return.

I would run a 1" full siphon, a 1.25" open channel, and a 1" dry emergency standpipe (the 1.25" open channel is becasue 1" open channels ~dursos~ ummm don't work very well) bean's system. Silent, bubble free, and self adjusts. Three standpipes as these are never overkill. A clever combination that works very well.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1310585&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Jim