PDA

View Full Version : Carpet anemone questions

jimmycent
02/24/2010, 06:05 PM
I am looking at buying a host anemone for my clowns and really like the look of carpet anemones. I have tried reading as much as I can about them and still in mixed mind about if to add or not but what my real questions are
1.How much would you normally expect to pay for a 10cm diam gigantea carpet?
2. Has been in the shop for awhile (2months plus) and doesn't look super healthy (not tentacle covered, yellowish in colour), can this be nursed back if placed in tank with better flow and lighting
3. Am I stupid for thinking I can look after it? Haven't ever looked after any sort of anemone as I don't really like the look of them.

Thanks for any feed back,
James

tufacody
02/24/2010, 06:15 PM
1) greenish, $100-200
2)yes, but unlikely you will succeed
3)yes, but don't feel bad. Even the best know they are taking the bull by the horns with these. Try Haddoni first.

chitownclown
02/24/2010, 07:04 PM
Well
1) not the price that matter its the shape of the nem that counts if bleached bad maybe a 100 tops.
2) if it were a saddle then I say yes but a gig no if not experince with them highly.
3) no its about dedication and if you have it its not stupid but I would say try a LTA, saddle carpet, or a BTA. Much easier to keep then a gig and alittle cheaper also.

clowns101
02/24/2010, 08:31 PM
1).You more than likely wont find one about 10cm.3 1/2 inches is pretty hard to find when your looking for a gig.The smallest Ive seen them was about 6 inches!But if you were I would say about $75 to $125.

2).It might live but by the sounds of it I really dont think you will be able to make the anemone thrive.

3).No your not stupid for saying that.You should hear the other questions others ask!

jimmycent
02/24/2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks for everyones feed back, I think I knew what the answers were going to be. I actually live in Australia, the small island on the bottom (Tasmania) so we dont have a lot of stock and only 2 LFS thats stock marine. I think I will let this anemone go based on my research and what you guys have said. The store is the better of the 2 but the owner can be a bit funny and only interested in making the sale.

One thing I would like to clear up which I highly doubt is true but was told by the owner is that these carpets don't sting humans?
Also for his current display he has 2 large gigantea one blue and one white, from everything ive read they dont come in white but im sure he has had this in there for a number of months.

Also with the carpet I was looking at he was asking 280 AU$ but was on sale for $150 due to in my opinion its not looking to well (dont think they have enough light or flow over it). Not that he would say that.

this is me
02/24/2010, 10:18 PM
$150 is a little too much for a 10cm yellowish(probably bleached from a tan/brown) kind of unhealthy gigantea to take a risk on. Pass up on it.
Wait for the right one and it will save you a lot of headache. A dead anemone in the system is quite the effort to clean it up. Often, numerous water changes are required.

OrionN
02/24/2010, 10:52 PM
What is the species of your clown fish?
For first attempt, do not try Gigantea. I can tell you that I have keep all the host anemones before and only able to keep mt first Gigantea alive since 10/2009. I keep marine aquarium since 1980 and keep fresh water fish since before I can remember.
For most clownfish hosting anemones, the aquarium must be set up for the anemone, everything else is secondary.

reefdogg1107
02/25/2010, 04:41 PM
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/steveo1107/101_1779.jpg

reefdogg1107
02/25/2010, 04:41 PM
Woops sorry posted in wrong thread!