PDA

View Full Version : misght possibly be the silliest clam question

yongpanda
02/25/2010, 12:44 AM
Alright, i am new but i was curious as to if there is a front/back to a clam. i realized these a bigish slit on one side of a crocea while theres a tube like opening on the other end. which end should be on the top? should the feet be clinged onto a rock on the bottom or is it okay to have its foot lean onto a slanted part of my rockstructure?

robs.mark
02/25/2010, 04:53 AM
No such thing as a silly question, just a silly answer! As long as the clam is facing the light your golden! Not sure which is front or back but imo its not important..

yongpanda
02/25/2010, 12:49 PM
icic. thanks! well the clam seems to be in great health on the first day of being in my tank after a lil past an hour of driping. Question was that the right mantle is much bigger and healthier compared to the left. i mean btoh are good btu i can notice how the left mantle is not as fleshy and a tiny portion of the mantle got damaged. The skin of it was scraped it hink but still intact. This is only due to damaage from shipping and not some disease right?

rholguin
02/25/2010, 02:29 PM
Does the mantle look like its kinda of pinched? If so you have what is called pinched mantle. A pic would help a lot.

yongpanda
02/25/2010, 04:31 PM
sorry had tio go out so pics wont be posted until like 3 hours. but i can tell you that the mantle isn't pinched, its just liek discolored. the mantle is vibrant blue and purple with silvery white patterns but theres liek a thin area at the edge where its just dull purple.

rholguin
02/25/2010, 04:38 PM
If its just loss of color you should be ok. Give it time and good lighting. Good luck.

yongpanda
02/25/2010, 04:46 PM
thank you so far you've put me at ease, especially when spending lots of money on a clam. do you have any recomendations as to how to acclimate it to my light? 4x24 watt tek light fixture on a hanging kti so i can lower and such. hours per day?height?o.0

rholguin
02/25/2010, 05:22 PM
How deep is your tank and where did you place the clam? What kind of clam is it? Derasa and squamosa are the less light demanding. Crocea and maximas need good strong lighting. As far as how long to run your lights about 8-9 hours would be ok. Also how high do you have your lights? From the top of the tank.

yongpanda
02/25/2010, 08:50 PM
Well my tank itself is aroud 14 inches. 1inch sandbed and i have the waterline 1 inch below the tank. i put the light aroud 12" above the tank just to start the light acclimation. I was deciding to put it aroud 5-6" when i'm done. I run my outer to bulbs for an hour, 7 hours of all the bulbs, and just the outside for another hour so thats 9 hours.
I put the clam on the sand which is large grained. its a crocea which is a bit close to the middle of the tank/front.

rholguin
02/25/2010, 11:11 PM
Well your ending height is good. Is there anything else in the tank? The reason I ask is most clams that we buy come from places that use strong lighting and dont need light acclimition, so you can bring your light down to your desired level. I have always started all frags and clams on the sand and move them up.

yongpanda
02/26/2010, 12:06 AM
oicic maybe i'll do a more faster acclimation by pulling the light down maybe 3 inches a day. i have some yumas and ricordeas and micro acans on the bottom too that came with the clam

Toddrtrex
02/26/2010, 12:17 AM
I personally like using window screening for light acclimation, as opposed to shortening the photo period and/or raising the lights.

I have always used 3 layers (( supported by egg create )) b/t the lights and the tank, with removing a layer every 5-7 days.

yongpanda
02/26/2010, 12:33 AM
mm well i'll jsut work with what i've got. :P

yongpanda
02/26/2010, 12:54 PM
Another quick one, clams are supposed to retract their mantle a bit at night right? sorry, maybe i'm just being worried a bit too much.

drparker
02/26/2010, 01:57 PM
Yes, mine retract at night. Pass your hand under the light so a shadow falls on the clam and it should react very fast.

yongpanda
02/26/2010, 04:34 PM
yup that happens.well i'll give it a week to see if its coming out alright