PDA

View Full Version : Purple, Yellow and Black Tangs Together?

Calabash
02/25/2010, 08:00 AM
We are transitioning several tanks into one 300g tank with about 250 pounds of rock. Currently in seperate tanks we have a 3"+ yellow/scopas tang hybrid, a 5+" purple tang and a 3" black tang. The purple tang came from a freind's tank where is was very easy going (unlike the usual purple tang personality).

The question: What are the chances all three of these fish will get along (well enough) in a 300 gallon tank?

I can only speculate at this point but I am most worried about aggression from the yellow/scopas tang hybrid. If I had to make a choice between this fish and the black tang, the black tang would win. But I like all of the tangs.

There will also be a 6" maculiceps tang and a 3" African Kole tang as well as other fish in with them.

Thanks for your thoughts.

29reef
02/25/2010, 08:13 AM
It's possible but not likely that they will get along sense they haven't been kept together before. I would introduce them with your other fish at the same time and hope that they can all find their own places to live.

That's a lot of rock is this a reef? If it's fish only you might want to get rid of some of it sense it can make cleaning a pain.

Calabash
02/25/2010, 08:15 AM
Yes, this will be a reef tank. The rock will be in a long island formation. Not sure exactly how much it will end up being. Just guessing right now.

BrianD
02/25/2010, 09:34 AM
Pretty selection of tangs! I wish I could predict an outcome, all I can tell you is it is a risky proposition. Perhaps arrange your rockwork with multiple caves/overhangs to give each of the tangs their own "spot"?

BrianD
02/25/2010, 09:54 AM
Also, you might consider reducing your tang load. It will restrict what you are able to add with all those large fish in a 300 gallon tank.

Calabash
02/25/2010, 10:02 AM
Just the 5 tangs for big fish. The others are a 4" wrasse, a royal gramma, a swissguard basslet, three small 2" nonaggressive wrasses, and a mated pair of black O. clowns.

Do you think that is a lot for a 300g tank?

BrianD
02/25/2010, 10:08 AM
Just the 5 tangs for big fish. The others are a 4" wrasse, a royal gramma, a swissguard basslet, three small 2" nonaggressive wrasses, and a mated pair of black O. clowns.

I am the wrong person to ask that question, I only have two tangs in a 550 gallon tank, and I think I have too many :)

tanglovers
02/25/2010, 01:32 PM
I currently have a 5" black, 4" purple and 4" scopas in our 220. The scopas is starting to cause issues with the purple (the scopas was added about 2 years ago at about 1.5" in size). It has put on very quick growth and is starting to want to exert its dominance.

You could sell the yellow/scopas hybrid (to me) :) I have been looking for one for a while now!

I think you have a decent shot at it working for a while but unsure long term. Depends on how aggressive your individual tangs are.

WETFISH
02/25/2010, 03:21 PM
The tangs with the similar shapes I think will be your problem.Giving them lots of hiding places will help.Good luck.

LKGRenegade22
02/25/2010, 08:14 PM

No. Just add them all together and make your rock where they can hide (if needed) and not always see each other. I'm sure there will be some aggression issues at 1st but they will work through them. I have a purple, scopas, red sea sailfin and powder blue in a 180 and they get along fine. If anything they all swim around the tank together.

BrianD
02/25/2010, 08:18 PM
There is no guarantee they will work through the aggression. Personally, I don't like to create the situation in the first place. I prefer a more peaceful tank.

LKGRenegade22
02/25/2010, 08:22 PM
There is no guarantee to anything. I definately wouldn't let them fight it out for days but my purple and scopas did not care for each other when I 1st added them. They did their tail slapping issues (and I watched closely) but neither hurt the other. After a day of that they became friends and now you never see one without the other.

We could go on for days about opinions/right/wrong/etc but I'm not setting up a big tank to put 5 fish in there, but I'm not going to let fish fight it out either. No matter what you do you always need a backup plan in case something does not work out like you planned. :)

xxtriggermanxx
02/25/2010, 08:25 PM
Not a great picture but I have a Yellow ,Chevron, and Black in a 265 for the past 16 months .all get along fine.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/xxtriggermanxx/PA240036.jpg

Eric the half-bee
02/25/2010, 08:28 PM
I'm upto 17 tangs in my 400 including 2 purples and 2 sailfins. Lots of rockwork along with feeding every other day and they cohabitate well. Funny, my scopas is one of the most fiesty and only 3".