PDA

View Full Version : 1" bulkhead question? more flow?

Whaledriver
02/25/2010, 11:49 AM
I have a typical reef tank with corner overflows. There is a 1" drain with a bulkhead fitting in the overflows. This bulkhead is threaded on the outside and threaded on the inside. To connect a drain hose I have a section of schedule 40 pipe that is threaded on one end and smooth on the other. I slip the flexible hose to the sump over this pipe end.

The question is if there is any way to get rid of the section of schedule 40 pipe? It is reducing the flow of the drain. Is there a better way to connect the flexible sump hose to the bulkhead? Is there a better bulkhead fitting that flows better?

Thanks for the help

d0ughb0y
02/25/2010, 01:28 PM
1" pipe flow capacity is 960 gallons per hour by gravity. how much flow do you need?

Whaledriver
02/25/2010, 03:29 PM
Just a little, my center brace is just starting to hit the top of the water if the overflow teeth get a little clogged. Ironically I use a toothbrush for this.

Is there a way to put a fitting on the outside of the bulkhead instead of the pipe threaded into the inside?

OR??? is there a bulkhead that is threaded on the top/outside and slip on the bottom/outside. To say it another way, only threaded partially so I can slip a hose on the outside?

d0ughb0y
02/25/2010, 04:10 PM
The outside thread of standard bulkhead are not meant to be used with pipe thread. I know there are other types of bulkheads used in hot tubs that does come with pvc fittings that threads to the outside thread of the bulkhead. In fact my setup does that. I got the parts from glass-holes.com. I got the 1" bulkhead that goes with the low profile elbow that threads directly to the outside thread of the bulkhead. You can talk to Mike at glass holes and describe what you want and he may be able to help you better.