PDA

View Full Version : reefkeeper lite pros/cons

fragboy94
02/25/2010, 06:52 PM
Reefkeeper lite can it be trusted I've seen different people talking abt how they always have problems with them and going on the fritz let me know what u think cause I plan on ordering one soon unless its not worth it

Jade
02/25/2010, 07:34 PM
I have had mine for a couple months now with no issues at all. I also have seen the horror stories, but have not had any myself. Maybe I'm just lucky. I even added a second PC4, very easy to program. Go for it, I think you will love it.

tkeracer619
02/25/2010, 07:51 PM
Everything breaks. This is why I always recommend not to plug your return pump and auto top off into a controller.

People who have 100% of life support hooked to a controller are asking for trouble.

The problem is people rely on them too much to run the tank. A controller should not run the tank but prevent problems. When the controller itself has problems the tanks basic life support should still operate. A controller is worth every penny but plugging 100% of equipment into them might cause problems.

For a basic controller the lite model is hard to match.

mchud
02/25/2010, 08:05 PM
I have run one for a few months now. I just run my Tunze pumps on them for wave making, not cycling them but just shutting one down at night, and feeding, one heater and i do run my return pump on it. They are handy but like someone said above it is not a life support system, But nice and simple to set up.

EllieSuz
02/25/2010, 08:08 PM
I started out with the basic RKL and as I found out what it could do, added another PC4 (outlet strip). Now the plan is to add another PC4, a module called the SL2 and a couple of float switch kits for an automatic top off. The point is, you can add to this system as you can afford it. It regulates my lights, including a set of moonlights that come on for an hour in the morning and four hours at night. Try that with a digital timer! It also controls the temperature, shutting down the heater if it gets too warm and turning on a fan pointed at the sump when it gets really warm. It also gives me an alarm if the water temp gets too low. It has a standby feature that allows you to turn off powerheads for whatever period of time you like to feed the tank without blowing the food around too much. Frankly, I don't know how I managed without it. You asked for pros and cons. The negative is that the instruction booklet is written by engineers and hard to follow for the technically challenged, but they say they're working on a new set of instructions. Customer service is fantastic, however.

fragboy94
02/25/2010, 08:28 PM
Sounds good I guess ill go with the rkl sounds like I should be fine mby som of those horror stories had som lemon controllers oh and later if I wanted to could I upgrade to the rke cause in 1 to 2 years were going to expand our basement and I plan on building a in wall 210 or 340 hooked into a 100 gal sump/fuge and a 30 to 60 gal frag tank pretty awsome for a 15 year old to plan right

chilwil84
02/25/2010, 08:33 PM
the controler is great but as stated above the directions are a little sketchy. the one that bugs me is the example for how not to use the timer function while the other sections give u an example of how to use the function.

fragboy94
02/25/2010, 08:39 PM
Hmm thts weird

serum153
02/25/2010, 08:55 PM
I love my reefkeeper lite and there is nothing out there that even comes close to it's entry level price. I agree with the post above that says everything breaks, but completely disagree about having important things hooked to it and would strongly recommend for people to hook return pumps and auto top offs to it if you have done things correctly. I for example have my return pump and auto top off hooked to it that also have 2 float switches hooked to both of them. One for normal operation and another in case the first one fails. If something was to fail I would get an e-mail notification or would not be able to view my feed and would either go by myself to check it out or have a family member go for me. How would you find out if something failed if it is not hooked up to a controller?

amheck
02/25/2010, 09:11 PM
what's the next step up from the RKL?

nano427
02/25/2010, 09:19 PM
what's the next step up from the RKL?

reef keeper elite is the next step. digital aquatics has a trade in program on your lite to upgrade to elite, that way you can still use all your existing pc4's and modules.

fragboy94
02/25/2010, 10:17 PM
Thts sweet im definetly gettin the rkl