PDA

View Full Version : Part-time skimming?

stancfii
02/25/2010, 10:42 PM
I'm looking to get the temperature down on my 58gal tank from a steady 80degrees to about 78. I've added fans and ventilation to my canopy and sump, so the only other place to cut down on heat is my main pump or the skimmer. I'm using a Turboflotor T1000 with an ocean runner 2700 pump, and I think this pump may be adding some extra heat. I'm wondering how well things would work if I put my skimmer on the timer with my sump lighting, so it would come on as my MH light went out, and went off just before the MH came back on (skimmer would be on 14 hours/day). I have a refugium in the sump with chaeto and 6" DSB. The tank has 2 percs, 2.5" kole tang, 2 shrimp, CUC, and is fed twice a day. I remember reading threads on this in the past, but can't seem to find them for some reason. Anyone else run their skimmer part-time? Some run skimmerless, so I can't imagine it doing much harm.

HaroldT
02/28/2010, 11:13 AM
You can run it skimmerless. You may want to cut back on your feeding and do more water changes. That will help in the event you go without a skimmer.

tkeracer619
02/28/2010, 11:27 AM
Why do you want to lower it? 80 is fine.

You can run the skimmer how you propose without any issue. Try it and see if that helps.

brycerb
02/28/2010, 11:27 AM
I can't imagine your skimmer pump adding that much heat to the tank. Try keeping your house colder, might even save some money. I keep my house at 74 and even with the 3 250watt MH's everything is all right. Glass tops will also keep in heat. A cheap fan blowing on the sump can help too. I would try other solutions than less filtering.