PDA

View Full Version : First Post - Auto topoff - new build Sump Refugium for 75 gal tank

Chris Atkinson
02/26/2010, 06:43 AM
Greetings Saltwater fans,

I'm Chris from Central IL. I'm brand new as of today to Reef Central. I'm a retriever guy and outdoors fan and have operated the retriever training "peer" to Reef Central since 1998. I know the power (and some of the challenges) of the online discussion board community and was quite glad to find this resource!

I ran a 55 gal fish-only tank in the late 80's and 90's with undergravel/powerheads and a hang-on Aquaclear. Life changed and I got out for several years. For the past three years I've been back with a little 10 gal Eclipse salt outfit that pretty much runs itself.

I'm starting a new 75 and it's currently full of air (emtpy and not started up yet). I've decided, after some research, to build my own sump. I am awaiting arrival of my CPR overflow box, my 9.5 Promag return pump, Octopus protein skimmer and associated fittings/tubing/plumbing (check valve, etc.)

To build my sump, I plan to either convert a glass aquarium that will sit in my below tank stand cabinet, or maybe make my own with glued acrylic. I'm waiting for all my parts to arrive to lay out the actual design. (Figure I better see what the suggested water depth is for my protein skimmer, for example)

Since this will be my first sump, I'm sure I'll learn a lot. I'm going to try to get the design as correct as possible on my first go.

It is looking like an auto top off is a good idea, especially since I do travel and my wife would like for the tank to be relatively low maintenance when she's in charge. (ie. feed daily and walk away when I'm on the road)

I'll be doing some auto top off research today, but thought I'd put it out on my first ReefCentral post - any suggestions on an economical, fairly simple auto top off setup?

Thanks and I'd imagine you will read more from me.

Chris

Borrisrex
02/26/2010, 06:56 AM
Well I cant help with the auto top off but.
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html This sight has everything you need to know about sumps. I used a 20 gal glass to make my first sump 6 years ago and on my new set up I am doing now I am using a 30 gal so I can put in a fuge.

Good luck

patsfan1130
02/26/2010, 07:38 AM
check out autotopoff.com

You can get either a single or double switch. Very basic, reasonably priced and very reliable. I have been using 2 of them for over 5 years with no issue what so ever.

Tomaric
02/26/2010, 08:36 AM
+1 on http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
Wish I would have saw this before I built my last sump...

Fizz71
02/26/2010, 09:36 AM
Your auto-topoff will be greatly affected by your location of a fresh water source, RO and storage. Me personally this go-around I went for a gravity fed top-off via a float that eshopps makes that can mount on a sump rim (or be drilled). I like the fact that it doesn't require power or a switch to operate since my last top-off (cusom made) eventually failed electronically..no damage, just no top-off. :)

The downside to this setup is your water storage must be above your sump's water line which is fine for me since the whole sump is in the basement. I've had to clean it once in the year the tank's been up...5 seconds with the compressed air cleaner and it was good as new. :)

http://www.marinedepot.com/Eshopps_Float_Valve_Auto_Top_Gravity_Feed_Dosing_Pumps_Top_Off-Eshopps-QH03531-FIDPGT-vi.html

I have my tank fed by a 55g drum of RO with only about 1/3 of the water above the sump water line so not all of it would wind up in the tank if the float some how failed. And the RO to top-off the top-off drum is on a timer AND and float switch..bring it on Murphy!

flare1185
02/26/2010, 09:58 AM
anyone got any pics of their autotopoff in action or how to set it up, im looking at these websites and they don't really show u how to set it up.