PDA

View Full Version : Another RC lightening question: HURRAY!

Edward Smith
02/26/2010, 08:23 AM
:spin2:

So.....

If you take a piece of SPS and divide it into two.
Place one under a 6.5K bulb and the other under a 20K bulb
And Both are exposed to the exact same water conditions
Then one year later, remove them from the system and compare them under the same light......

Finally......the question.....

Will they be the same color (not size, or anthing else, just color)?

Thanks,

dlmkmm
02/26/2010, 08:42 AM
This is the perfect test for the "will the color of the light affect the color of the coral" question. Great idea, why hasn't this been done before!

t4zalews
02/26/2010, 08:55 AM
I feel that the one under the 6500K will be larger...as it would have grown more. As for color...both pieces would have the same potential for coloring, but they would both have a different color because of the amount of zooxanthellae each one would possess as they get used to the different spectrums of light.

or this is what I would assume with this experiment

cdbdis
02/26/2010, 10:00 AM
So where's the LightENing question???

Nanook
02/26/2010, 10:11 AM
Let us know when you figure it out one year from now:lol: You are a bold adventurer!

Edward Smith
02/26/2010, 03:21 PM
Let us know when you figure it out one year from now:lol: You are a bold adventurer!

Thanks guys! :fun2:

Guess the jury is out on this?

I'm going to take a look at the previous TOTM's and see what the success stories are doing. Although, that will even be tough, most are using a combination of low temp lights and actinic supplements.....hmmmm, maybe that's my answer?

The reason for my question is this: I just want to do some SPS farming. That being said, 6.5k sounds like my answer. But......when I go to frag and sell, will the color still be as rich as if I grew it under say....14K?

matt the fiddler
02/26/2010, 04:43 PM
i have seen people havea frag tank with a 6.5 K an a 20 K bulb. they grow under teh low K and then they move the frags under the 20K for a month or two before trading/ selling.

cdbdis
02/26/2010, 09:18 PM
I believe ORA employs the same methodology - rapidly growing out colonies using natural sunlight and then coloring up the frags under 20K MH's.

ros_sco
02/27/2010, 12:05 AM
Advanced Aquarist had an article discussing that exact question a while back. The author grew out 11 different sps frags under 20K, 10K, and a T5 combo for 14 months and then compared the 3 frags under all 3 lights.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/3/aafeature1

herozero
02/27/2010, 12:08 AM
So where's the LightENing question???
Haha!

Edward Smith
02/27/2010, 06:49 AM
That article hit the mark! Thanks.

Although I have to laugh at the results, I should of anticipated them.......

I boils down to the same theme, I keep forgeting, over and over and over.

There is no "perfect" lighting (not lightening :rolleyes:) for every single piece of SPS out there. They all have their own specific needs. And then most importantly, lighting is just one of the many influencer's.

Thanks all