PDA

View Full Version : Outside frag tank?

Damsels R Cool
02/26/2010, 11:06 AM
i have a 29 gallon sitting around and living in florida i'm pretty shure i could use the sun as lighting the tank would be out side 24/7 if i do it. with about 3 power heads for movement for about a 40x turnover would it work?

LPS_Blasto
02/26/2010, 11:07 AM
Who knows? Try it and let us know how it works out.

Find the max water temp during the day and set your heater to that temp so it maintains the same temp at night.

Egkid
02/26/2010, 11:33 AM
I think on that small of a tank you'll run into major heat issue's. Then you'll have to have a cover over the tank or something to keep rain from getting in. You'll also have to worry about if the heater can handle keeping the tanks temp up when it gets down to 40 degrees. I would just fill the tank with freshwater for a month and monitor the temperature everyday to see if it's even doable.

Damsels R Cool
02/26/2010, 01:41 PM
I think on that small of a tank you'll run into major heat issue's. Then you'll have to have a cover over the tank or something to keep rain from getting in. You'll also have to worry about if the heater can handle keeping the tanks temp up when it gets down to 40 degrees. I would just fill the tank with freshwater for a month and monitor the temperature everyday to see if it's even doable.

doing that today

nowlan
02/28/2010, 06:37 PM
Wont algae go crazy in direct sun?

SMITTY27030
02/28/2010, 06:58 PM
saw a tank a guy had in the bahamas on his deck had sps and all...just cant remember where the post was...was nice tank...