PDA

View Full Version : Yellow & Purple Tangs

Reef obcession
02/26/2010, 03:27 PM
Guys,

I have a med size Purple tang that never got along with my old yellow tang that I removed a year ago because he was attacking him. Well I still have the Purple guy and was thinking of adding like 3 yellow tangs to the tank (225 reef). I was told If I add 3 yellows ( babys) the purple tang wouldnt go after them. I dont want to add the yellows and see them get tormented. I will never be able to get them out now that I re did all my rock scape.

Thanks Bill

NarakuAulonocar
02/26/2010, 07:25 PM
Guys,

I have a med size Purple tang that never got along with my old yellow tang that I removed a year ago because he was attacking him. Well I still have the Purple guy and was thinking of adding like 3 yellow tangs to the tank (225 reef). I was told If I add 3 yellows ( babys) the purple tang wouldnt go after them. I dont want to add the yellows and see them get tormented. I will never be able to get them out now that I re did all my rock scape.

Thanks Bill

In a 225, with lots of rocks, you have a chance,
although purples are known to be an aggressive tang.

I would go with yellows larger than the purple because
smaller tangs are usually thin and delicate.
A purple tang won't help them acclimate either.

good luck

Korrine
02/26/2010, 08:12 PM
I have a friend that added, I believe it was the purple tang second to a tank that already had a yellow tang in it. Was a 75g. He would turn the lights off when there was aggression shown and he said it helped quite a bit. Don't know how long he had to do this, but he said it worked. They get along good now.

Reef obcession
02/27/2010, 08:52 AM
hmm still not sure I should try this. Thanks for the info . anyone else?