PDA

View Full Version : Safest power head for SH

gannetnz
02/26/2010, 06:43 PM
just wondering what peoples thrgts were on the safest power head for SH are

pledosophy
02/27/2010, 12:34 AM
Koralia nano's are pretty safe. I also like Seio's with the fish guards on, but they are pretty large.

Octoshark
02/27/2010, 02:07 PM
The grates on the fish guards that come with the larger koralias are actually smaller than the ones on the nano model (the nano doesnt come with a fish guard because its already small). The nano model actually has larger front openings than the larger ones with the fish guard.

So the larger ones with a fish guard are actually smaller than the nano without one.

pledosophy
03/01/2010, 12:56 AM
The fish guard protects the output of the pump. I would be more worried about the intakes myself.

JMO

SDahmer
03/01/2010, 05:18 AM
No experience with SH but if I tried it, I would probably try a return pump for flow, with a spray bar to spread it.

namxas
03/01/2010, 12:44 PM
i use a CL in my larger SH setup. no PH's at all.

Brian77
03/01/2010, 05:13 PM
I've used the Koralia Nano's and I've seen one of my horses get his tail into the intake grating...I now use MaxiJets.

gannetnz
03/01/2010, 05:58 PM
has anyone used a vortech with the foam covers??

ScooterTDI
03/02/2010, 07:46 AM
I've used the MP10 w/ foam, but I wouldn't recommend them. If you don't crank them up past half speed, you MIGHT be OK. I've seen horses get stuck to the foam because the suction was too great when they get too close to them. I had it on reef crest mode at full steam and before I could peel the horse off the vortec, the flow decreased and released the horse, but he wasn't too happy about it.

Otherwise, the horses seemed to love the broad gentle undertow from it. They would often swim in the current like a treadmill (swim into the current, but go nowhere).

Scott

crsaz
03/02/2010, 08:42 AM
I would use the vortech mp20, not much more flow than the mp10 but is much larger so the "suction" wouldn't be nearly as strong.

2slo4me
03/02/2010, 08:43 AM
koralia nanos is what i used in my sh tank

L98-Z
03/02/2010, 02:23 PM
If you use Koralias, is it best to protect them from the intake side? I assume the exit side is safe since they can't get "stuck" to it obviously...

mattkd5
03/02/2010, 03:29 PM
koralia nanos is what i use with no problems but my horses are pretty big

pledosophy
03/02/2010, 11:46 PM
koralia nanos is what i use with no problems but my horses are pretty big

That's a good point, when I recommend powerheads I am usually thinking of adults in my mind, not fry or juvies.

IME I have had no issues with the koralia nano's. I do not like the maxijets because there flow is so concentrated, like a fire hose. If you are leary about the intakes of the koralias, the Seio's witht he fish guard are another choice for a large amount of flow that is greatly dispersed. They are a bit bulky though.

Peka
03/03/2010, 08:49 AM
I use aquaball powerheads or maxijets....

lcs
03/03/2010, 01:21 PM
+1 on it depending on the size/strength of the horse(s). My smaller one has been stuck to the intake of a koralia nano and the smaller SEIOs, as well as getting her tail sucked into the outflow of a SEIO. All of this was the first week I had them, almost four months ago now. I have since pulled all of those and just last week added a Maxijet 600 with the foam on the intake. I have seen both of them right up close to the Maxijet and were able to get away from the intake, no problem. Probably a combination of her being stronger and the PH itself.

I also second the idea of having a stronger return pump (if you have one) and dispersing the flow and/or using a closed loop. Especially if your horses will be on the smallish side.

HTH!!

fishtankdon
03/07/2010, 07:42 AM
I second on the stronger return pum, or something with a guard so they can hitch by it with np.