PDA

View Full Version : Randys Recipe - Calc and Alk question

jimmycent
02/27/2010, 06:32 PM
Hi everyone. Hope someone can help. Looking at just starting using this method as I have just checked my calc and alk for the first time, before that never had much of a need.

Results are in and I need to raise both with calcium being 350, and alc 5.5. When using the calculator telling you how much is needed to raise to these levels it says I will need about a 1 ltr (sorry for the metric but im Aus) of calcium mix to raise to 450 and only 250ml to raise my alc to 9 (about in the middle of desired levels).

I know to raise them slowly but will this imbalance in required amounts mess things up as my understanding is they are meant to be added in equal amounts? Also how much should I raise each safely each day? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

James

bertoni
02/27/2010, 06:38 PM
How big is the tank?

I'd probably use two doses to fix the levels, since the calculator requires a guess as to the total amount of water in the system. The usual recommended limit is 100 ppm per day for calcium. Alkalinity dosing often is limited by the pH of the supplement. Are you using the plain baking soda, or the baked baking soda?

jimmycent
02/27/2010, 06:58 PM
Sorry, some very relevant information left out there. Total system would be 100 Gallon and would be using the calc recipe one (baked baking soda).

bertoni
02/27/2010, 07:22 PM
Okay, those doses seem reasonable. I'd break them into three doses, one morning, one afternoon, and one evening. I'd probably measure after the first dose, and then after the last.