PDA

View Full Version : GAC and GFO Reactor

maysorum
02/27/2010, 09:56 PM
I'd like to start using an affordable GAC and GFO reactor, but I'm not sure which one. What reactor do you guys use? Do you mix GAC and GFO or run them separately?

Has anyone used the Dual BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor? Or the Two little Fishes Reactor? Many thanks!

ricde
02/27/2010, 10:04 PM
I've been using the dual chamber BRS reactor for over a year now. It's built like a tank and doesn't have any issues with leaking.

It's a little tricky to get the flow adjusted and the sponges on the bottom are a real pain to clean but it is a very quality built unit that will last for years.

The only other thing I dislike about the BRS reactor is the tubing they use. It's stiff as a board and a bit of a pain to route around the sump area

tkeracer619
02/27/2010, 10:07 PM
I have used both. I like having a separate reactor for each media but it is not necessary.

I have no preference between the two.

sedor
02/27/2010, 10:10 PM
Separate reactors for each will work best, but they can be done together if money is tight. Personally, I would go with either BRS reactors or just a couple simple TLF reactors. Last time I checked, I think they were going for $40 a piece. You can definitely save some $ by buying your GAC and GFO from BRS, so if your going to do that using one of their reactors will save on the shipping a bit.

maysorum
02/28/2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the replies! Is it important for water to be pushed upward through the media?

James77
02/28/2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the replies! Is it important for water to be pushed upward through the media?

With GFO it is, as it prevents the binding of the media because the upward flow fluidizes it. I use 2 single BRS reactors. They work very well, my only complaint being that it can be hard to unscrew the canister- might be less of an issue with the dual because you can get more leverage/grip.

money_kirk
02/28/2010, 10:10 AM
I run the brs reactor. Very easy to change out the carbon. No problems as of yet.

maysorum
02/28/2010, 11:24 AM
With GFO it is, as it prevents the binding of the media because the upward flow fluidizes it. I use 2 single BRS reactors. They work very well, my only complaint being that it can be hard to unscrew the canister- might be less of an issue with the dual because you can get more leverage/grip.

Do you use one for GFO? And it works since the flow is not upward?

sjm817
02/28/2010, 11:47 AM
...the sponges on the bottom are a real pain to clean...
I got fed up with that and tossed them. I could never get them clean enough to not impede flow. I just use a little filter floss down there now and replace it when I change media. Its up flow, so the bottom sponges dont do much except keep the media from falling out when its not running. Works much better this way.

maysorum
02/28/2010, 06:18 PM
Its up flow, so the bottom sponges dont do much except keep the media from falling out when its not running.

Does it sit upside down then? With the clear chambers facing upwards?

Thanks for the feedback about the BRS reactors. Those that don't use the BRS reactor, do you mix your media or have to separate reactors?

James77
02/28/2010, 06:45 PM
Does it sit upside down then? With the clear chambers facing upwards?
?

The BRS reactors are just RO filter housings with wider ports, and they use DI cartrifge refills to put the GAC or GFO in, and it sits rightside up. The flow comes in at the top of the housing and goes to the bottom of the DI cartridge, and up through the media to the outlet.

d0ughb0y
03/01/2010, 02:43 AM
are those brs canisters' media cartridge transparent? if they are translucent like their DI units, then how can one see the GFO tumble? I can barely see the color of the DI resin on my DI canister, kinda defeats the purpose of color changing di resin.