PDA

View Full Version : can I add 2 new small clownfish to a tank with a mated pair?

dumbard
02/28/2010, 05:42 AM
I have a 180 gallon reef tank with about 20 fish. I have a mated pair of Percula Clownfish that I've had for about a year and a half. The female is about 2.5" and the male is about 2" long. They've laid eggs a bunch of times already. They are really peaceful with each other and the other fish. But of course when they've laid their eggs they don't let the other fish near the area. Although they never bite anyone, just kinda shoo them away. hehe

Anyway now I am considering buying 2 more clownfish of the same kind cause they are just so cute and fun to have. But I wanna get 2 really small ones.

Wondering if this is ok? Will my mated pair attack them or accept them? The new ones I wanna get are really much smaller so clearly there will be no confusion about dominance, I just wanna make sure they're not gonna kill the small ones or attack on them too much that they'll die from stress. Also I have a bunch of anemones in the tank.

Thanks for your help! :spin3:

dumbard
02/28/2010, 05:52 AM
this is my mated pair about a year ago

Ben_Im
02/28/2010, 09:55 AM
Your tank seems large enough, just introduce them on the opposite side of the tank and things should work out.

dumbard
03/01/2010, 08:21 AM
update: I just did some reseach and I think my clowfish might actually be ocellaris! I thought I had percula, but not really sure. If anyone can help me identify them that would help too. Here is another pic that shows the black lines better. Does it even matter which kind I have for what I am trying to do? As long as I get the same kind for my new ones I assume it would be ok.

Thanks

elder luis
03/01/2010, 10:53 AM
If you add a new pair, probably youŽll have some problem. Even in large tanks. Clowns are very territorialists with their own species. I had 4 ocellaris and added a pair of black ocellaris, the first 3 weeks were the chaos for the new clowns, so now they grew up and can defend themselves, but was a war! :D I have a big tank, 600L...

vtysl
03/02/2010, 12:35 AM
the second pic seems like a percula.

Takeasnapshot
04/19/2012, 04:45 PM
I wouldnt add a new pair of mated clownfish to your tank.The clownfish you have now with attack the new ones.

velvetelvis
04/19/2012, 05:17 PM
I wouldnt add a new pair of mated clownfish to your tank.The clownfish you have now with attack the new ones.

This is probably the safest bet. As other posters have pointed out, clownfish are very territorial. You could always use it as an excuse to set up another tank. ;)

Whip316
04/19/2012, 09:47 PM
especially since they have laid eggs before makes them way more meaner and i think they will kill the new pair rather quickly.

Ron Reefman
04/20/2012, 04:33 AM
It can be done. I have a friend with 2 mated pair (different species) in a 180g tank. But my best guess is you have a 10% chance of success. Clowns are very aggressive toward other clowns.

westohooligan
04/20/2012, 08:14 AM
Anything can be done, but you have to ask yourself, "Is it worth the risk?" When the new pair is added it will more than likely interrupt the egg laying of the established pair, ruining any chances of raising the fry, then there's the chance that the established pair, will of course, kill the newcomers. I know for a fact that in my friend's 180 he tried twice to hold people's clowns and his pair nearly killed the new clowns each time.