PDA

View Full Version : Baby Fish Everywhere

NexDog
02/28/2010, 07:12 AM
So last year I took a look in my overflows on a hunch after I saw a baby Bangai in the tank - and sure enough I found 3 or 4 more. My Bangai pair seem to spawn quite regular but it's quite hard to spot as the male disappears when holding the fry. Since a major makeover last May/June I haven't seen any other babies although I'm positive they have been spawning. I've been checking the overflows every now and then but nothing appeared. Until 2 weeks ago. :)

I found 20 or so baby somethings in the overflow so I ground up some flake and pellet into powder and have been actively sprinkling some in the overflows daily. So far so good.

Then today I was fiddling around in the sump in a halide lit section which is overgrown with LTA splits (its an anenome jungle in there). Suddenly I spotted yet more babies swimming around. So I then checked out the fuge area which is lit 24/7 by a simple strip light and sure enough, more babies. I then reached over the back and peered into the return section which gets a little light from the halide section and saw yet more. I reckon maybe 50 in total.

What's amazing is that these fry have to go down the overflows into the gravity fed skimmer and out again and over loads of baffles to get where they are.

I have a pair of Clarkis that spawn regularly but without rotifers I'm told there is little chance that anything can survive so I guess these all must be Bangais. Has anyone ever heard of Clarki fry surviving without any hardcore attempt to raise them?

Anyhow, thought it was pretty cool. Does anyone else have stories of baby fish surviving without really trying hard to breed and raise?

Chiefsurfer
02/28/2010, 07:55 AM
IN my SW tank, no, too young. My FW tank, I think my guppies would make babies that survived if they had to swim through lava to get to safety. Obviously exaggeration, but they just don't stop, and I don't feed anything different than my normal flake, and I get maybe 15 a month that survive my rams(my bolivian rams do a pretty good job of hunting down the new fry)

Stanley-Reefer
02/28/2010, 08:15 AM
my falco and wrasses keep the baby bangaiis in check in my tank!!!

Lunareclipse
02/28/2010, 08:19 AM
Baby fishes are too cute.