PDA

View Full Version : What can remove excess aluminum from an aquarium?

frankpayne32
02/28/2010, 11:02 AM
Up until yesterday I was using SeaGel to control phosphate in my aquarium for months. Seagel is a combination of carbon and PhosGuard. While using SeaGel I noticed my Euphyllid corals and many of my zoanthus would retract and not extend like they used to. Then I recently read that PhosGuard can leach aluminum into the aquarium irritating certain corals. Now I've switched to using GFO to control my phosphate. Should I take steps to try to remove the aluminum from the aquarium. I am currently running GAC and GFO, will this be enough to remove the aluminum or should I use something else? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Frank

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/28/2010, 11:51 AM
IME, the effect goes away over time on its own. I don't know of any specific thing, aside from GAC and skimming that may remove aluminum (which is probably at least partly bound to organics).

eddiesylas
02/28/2010, 01:59 PM
From what I have read, Xenia are a good garbage suck for many trace elements, but expect other parameters (especially Ca+)to lower as well. I am not an expert, can anyone back this up?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/28/2010, 02:20 PM
Xenia, Caulerpa, and skimmate all contain some aluminum:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/rs/feature/index.php

frankpayne32
02/28/2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully the effects will diminish soon.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/28/2010, 03:22 PM
:thumbsup:

Let's us know what happens. :)

frankpayne32
02/28/2010, 03:32 PM
Will do, thanks!

frankpayne32
03/26/2010, 05:27 PM
Well, when I added the GFO my cyano completely disappeared within one week but my polyp extension did not improve. But I did find the problem and solution. I later reduced my halide photoperiod from 12 hours to 7 hours and my polyp extension and color has increased dramatically. Everything is looking great now.

asl4me76
03/26/2010, 07:19 PM
Well, when I added the GFO my cyano completely disappeared within one week but my polyp extension did not improve. But I did find the problem and solution. I later reduced my halide photoperiod from 12 hours to 7 hours and my polyp extension and color has increased dramatically. Everything is looking great now.

That's an insane photoperiod :).

Here is how I have mine set to work.

Supplemental: 2hrs
MH: 8hrs

Makes a world of difference. Try replicating the dawn to dusk periods during the day with some timers.

tmz
03/26/2010, 10:37 PM
Will polyfilter remove it?

frankpayne32
03/27/2010, 06:27 AM
That's an insane photoperiod :).

Here is how I have mine set to work.

MH: 8hrs

Makes a world of difference. Try replicating the dawn to dusk periods during the day with some timers.

I should have fully explained it. That is almost exactly what I do also. I have my t5 ATI Blue plus on for 12 hours and my halides on for seven.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/27/2010, 06:57 AM
I'm glad to hear things are looking better! :)

Lowefx
10/08/2017, 06:08 PM
Hey @RandyHolmes-Farley please take a look at my thread. I can't figure out how to remove these unwanted trace elements. Thank you very much.

https://www.*********.com/index.php?threads/322159

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
10/09/2017, 06:48 AM
Hey @RandyHolmes-Farley please take a look at my thread. I can't figure out how to remove these unwanted trace elements. Thank you very much.

https://www.*********.com/index.php?threads/322159

randy is not on this board anymore..
This board also blocks your link to another forum so we don't even know what it is..
BUT if I had to guess its probably the board2board that Randy has moved on "2" (see what I did there) (ok..yes he is active on the board you tried to link to..)
So why don't you just PM him there...

I'd start by running a polyfilter though..

Lowefx
10/09/2017, 08:02 AM
Nice. Yes and thank you