PDA

View Full Version : Danner mag drive pumps

Wannabe29
02/28/2010, 12:42 PM
Anybody have experience with Danner supreme mag drive pumps? Are these the "mag" pumps that everyone refers to when they say to get a 'Mag 5" or a "Mag 7?"

Thanks everyone.

Fig
02/28/2010, 12:49 PM
Yes

evilc66
02/28/2010, 02:09 PM
I'd look into something else. There are much better pumps available for about the same price with less noise, less heat, and lower power consumption.

cyberlaz
02/28/2010, 02:14 PM
I have a Danner Mag 7 that I use for a closed loop wavemaker through a SCWD.

I have had it for about a year now. I haven't had much trouble with it other than it has a tendency to leak if the output isn't straight up and down.

Nice thing about the Mags is that they can be used externally. Not many pumps at its price range can be used externally.

evilc66
02/28/2010, 02:25 PM
Maxijet Utility pumps can, and they use less power for the same flow. So can Quiet One pumps.

jubjub
02/28/2010, 02:33 PM
i have a mag9.5 and a mag7 on my other tank....i found both are highly reliable no issues for like 3years now

Wannabe29
02/28/2010, 02:34 PM
The price is the most limiting factor for me. I'm looking for a house with my wife. Kind of started this project as a distraction from the stress of house shopping and work, etc. The idea being that, if all goes well, I'll have the set-up ready to go by the time we find something. Anyway, I promised her I'd keep the price as low as possible.

I'm going with an inexpensive LED lighting system that I ordered through a group buy on my reef club's forum. So, as far as heat is concerned, I'm not too worried about the output from the pumps. I won't have any heat from the lights really, so I don't mind the pumps adding a little. Could actually give my heater a break.

I'm also going to be using the SCWD...again, because of cost and electricity. Cyberlaz, how do you like it? What kind of maintenance is involved?

As far as pumps, I'll be using a mag 5 for my skimmer and a mag 9.5 for my return, mostly because I'll have the return t'd off to feed my fuge. I think I'm going to lose quite a bit of flow between that and head return. I also have a 700 gph overflow so I want to make sure my return pump is big enough to provide a good flow. The mag 7, with head and a t-junction would have been too low, I think.

Several people have referred the mag pumps to me and I just wanted to make sure that this was the brand they were talking about. Thanks, again, for the replies and input.

sjm817
02/28/2010, 02:49 PM
Mags aren't the best, but they are OK. I dont like Mag 7s. They tend to be very noisy. Mag 5 and 9.5 are decent pumps. A SCWD cuts the flow back a ton. Way more than the 10% they claim.

Wannabe29
02/28/2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I know I'm going to lose some flow. That's why I got the 9.5. Hopefully it'll still provide enough to do the job. As for the SCWD, I'm willing to give it a try. If it doesn't work out, I guess I'll try and set up some kind of turbulent flow by aiming the outflow nozzles at each other or something. I don't want to get another wave making pump or powerhead, if I can avoid it. I'd like to keep as much equipment out of the tank as I can. It's only a 40 breeder so it shouldn't be too hard to get some nice flow....I think.

salty55
02/28/2010, 05:20 PM
I have been running a mag 9.5 submerged for three years now without any problems.

saltyguy51
02/28/2010, 06:12 PM
I think they were real good pumps a while back but they might be made in china now and I have heard people say they are'nt as good anymore.

reefermad619
02/28/2010, 06:19 PM
If price is a concern, chech out the hyperflows from Rio. I have a hp32 and it uses about 30 watts less power than a mag 18 and pushes almost 200 GPH more than the mag 18 @ 6ft of head.

mic209
02/28/2010, 06:46 PM
I ran a mag 7 as my return pump for a year and a half, in that time I went through 3 impellers, for some reason it built up with calcium around the impeller more then usual and would cause the impeller to sieze and snap the impeller shaft. One day when the impeller shaft snapped and i was in need of an emergency pump, I went to the LFS and all they stocked was catalina pumps, i was skeptical at first, but the pump was way more quieter then the mag, and to date hasn't not built up with calcium. Despite what people say about Catalina Aquarium, i'm much more happier with the Catalina pump. Look into it, they're about half the price of a mag.