PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor Info

moneymark
02/28/2010, 07:17 PM
Hello all, I need to know something from you more experienced reefers. I want to start a SPS coral tank. Do I need to have a CO2 Bottle in order to work a calcium reactor? :confused:Thanx in advance.

das75
02/28/2010, 07:19 PM
you need the CO2 to drop the water's pH so the reactor media dissolves.

ReefTECK
02/28/2010, 07:51 PM
A calcium reactor is no simple part of an sps system. You need a CO2 bottle, a pH controller, and a CO2 tank regulator with solenoid, as well as the reactor itself.

But you don't have to have a CA rxr to have an SPS tank. Many people, in fact I think most (according to some recent RC polls) use two part dosing systems to maintain their sps tanks. The benefit of the CA rxr/Kalk rxr combo is that they (when dialed in properly) provide a more consistent alk/ca environment for the reef. And perhaps in the long run they cost less to operate, than buying consumable two part liquids for the rest of your life.

Two parts, work fine though. It's a good idea to use an adjustable doser to provide more consistency with two part or three part dosing.

moneymark
02/28/2010, 07:51 PM
Is there any other way around this?

scottwhitson
02/28/2010, 09:34 PM
Any other way around what? No there is no other way around running a calcium reactor. You have to have a CO2 source.

das75
02/28/2010, 09:35 PM
SPS will suck Ca and Alk from the tank. Depend how much coral but simple water changes can keep up for a bit. Only way to know is to measure your water.

Dosing can easily be done manually and again depends on your load but could only be a couple of times a week. When you start filling your tank with SPS you'll find the reactor or doser more convenient.

As for dosing, buy bulk and is fairly cheap using Randy's 2 part recipe and can for less than about $150 have a DIY dosing system (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773806) (couple of pumps and 2 plug in timers).

moneymark
03/03/2010, 07:17 PM
Thanx for the info guys.