PDA

View Full Version : Well well well

hugecoltsfan
03/01/2010, 07:47 AM
I am so excited I have an outbreak of copepods. Now for my question when should I add Fish?

swjim
03/01/2010, 07:49 AM
How old is your tank?

What are your parameters?

How much live rock is in the tank?

Where did you get the live rock from?

What kind of filtration do you have on the tank?

hugecoltsfan
03/01/2010, 08:41 AM
65 GALLONS

Parameters are good

About 75lbs

dry rock and some live rock from a lfs

Tank is about 4 weeks

fluval with carbon untill all rock is seeded

2 koralia 4's on eacvh side of tank
1 maxijet 600 behind rocks

I have a extremely small cuc right now
1 emerald crab
1 peppermint shrimp
6 small hermit crabs
5 snails

seanmc980
03/01/2010, 09:28 AM
The longer you wait the better ,but if your levels are good and your cycle is over i would go for it. I would only add 1 fish and see how he does for a week or two. If your tank went through a light cycle and you have a lot of Dry rock then you might see another cycle. It can take months to a year for dry rock to seed through. Keep the bio-load low and watch your parameters. A damsel would be perfect for this situation... I'd go with a clown or a green/blue chromis. Stay way from the pretty yellow tails lol.

DaveAngie79
03/01/2010, 10:21 AM
i would wait, dont get damsels you will regret it

seanmc980
03/01/2010, 10:29 AM
i would wait, dont get damsels you will regret it

Most, but some aren't that bad...

hugecoltsfan
03/01/2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah I reaaly don't want any damsels. I was thinking in about another 2 weeks or so getting somethin like a pair of clowns or a chromis or 2. I am willing to wait a little while now. I am going to wait a while because I want this other rock to take off. I am going to buy a magnesium supplement for the tank to help the coraline algea take off this week. But any way I have added 2 pics one is three rocks 2 live and 1 base( just now showing signs of changing after 2 weeks). The other pic is the same rocks added with dry rock I bought this weekend.

Sisterlimonpot
03/01/2010, 12:03 PM
when you say parameters are good what does that mean? have you seen the ammonia spike and then drop to 0? That is the only way to know if you can start adding fish. maybe give us the results of your latest test. and be careful adding magnesium... I wouldn't add mag... if you want coralline to start to grow focus more on alkalinity and calcium, usually if you get those parameters up to proper level then mag is going to follow suit, however I wouldn't dose or add any supplements to you tank without first testing their levels.
Good luck with your new tank.
Jimmy