PDA

View Full Version : Zoanthids and shade

Kamao
03/01/2010, 07:59 AM
So i bought a huge rock with zoanthids, palys and shrooms. Its 19 something inches tall, but my tank isnt that tall so i had to improvise. Over half the rock, column style, is covered with red/yellow zoos. The bottom half has shrooms and browngreenish palys. So its not standing straight, and a lot of the nice zoos are in the shade.

My question is, will they be fine, or will i lose them. I got 150w MH over the tank.

Kamao
03/01/2010, 08:10 AM
Btw, here is a pic. Tank is messy, havent cleaned it coz im not done aquascaping. Im currently moving a smaller tank to this one. Its a 35gallon Aqua Medic Chromis tank. In the pic you see the zoos and that a lot of them are in the shade, on the sides, underneath. The rock is covered on all sides.

Friday Night
03/01/2010, 02:17 PM
I dont think you will "lose" them.. but they wont be as rich in color.. if you have good flow in the tank the ones on the bottom (in the shade) will get the necessary food/elements blown to them in order to grow....

Kamao
03/01/2010, 02:25 PM
I have good flow in the tank, but i thought light was more important for them to grow?

Friday Night
03/01/2010, 02:47 PM
it is one of the factors of growth... i mean with a 150mh your good to go.. but i think the ones in the shade will not be as rich in color and the growth rate will be slower.. Check on them over time. As long as thier not "melting or shrinking" your golden...

HTH

5h3rW1N
03/01/2010, 04:35 PM
Btw, here is a pic. Tank is messy, havent cleaned it coz im not done aquascaping. Im currently moving a smaller tank to this one. Its a 35gallon Aqua Medic Chromis tank. In the pic you see the zoos and that a lot of them are in the shade, on the sides, underneath. The rock is covered on all sides.

thats alot of zoo's !!!:beer:

Ritten
03/01/2010, 10:25 PM
I was really surprised thinking some of mine that ended up shaded would perish, but they do just fine, they just multiply REALLY slow.

Kamao
03/02/2010, 10:28 AM
thats alot of zoo's !!!:beer:

Thanks, and theyre all mine! :inlove:

Found out that the former owner also had some of the zoos in the shade and they were all fine. But he had much more powerful light though. 400w vs my 150w. Shouldnt be a problem, right?