PDA

View Full Version : Somebody help the noob =(

reef_keeper
03/01/2010, 04:52 PM
Will a ViaAqua pump 1300 rated at 360GPH be too much for my
Eshopps Overflow Box rated at 300GPH? ALSO. can i put my skimmer in my fuge or does it need its own compartment in my sump. Should i have my water run through bio balls or ceramic rings before it enters my fuge or can i simply direct the water into my fuge? This will be my first sump setup. I'm trying to make this as simple and as cost friendly as possible. thank you all so much for the help...if i can get any..:confused:

Will this sump idea work out??? image below

lordofthereef
03/01/2010, 05:30 PM
After headloss, I don't feel you would have any issues. If you did, you could always dial back the pump a bit, but I highly doubt you are going to need to. As far as bio-balls and ceramic rings, I will let someone else chime in. I am not a proponent of such things as they tend to be detritus traps unless maintained frequently.

lougotzz
03/01/2010, 06:38 PM
First things first, what size tank do you have? You want to have approx 10x's turn over through tank and sump. So if your tank is around thirty gallons, this set up you have fits the bill.

I would let the water just flow directly into the fuge. Like lordofthereef said, bio balls and rings gather up detritus, uneaten food, other forms of debris, with nothing to break it down, so it rots. When this **** rots it forms nitrates. The bio balls add nothing that LR in the DT would not, so lets get them out of there.

The chaeto can be in the same chamber as your skimmer, just put it in a plastic box closed off with some mesh so it doesnt spread everywhere.

That sump design is fine, you can get rido f the bio ball chamber.
HTH.

gokarter88
03/01/2010, 09:11 PM
+1 on the bio balls lougotzz explained it very well!! you could always put the skimmer in the bio balls spot. if its big enough? Also about the pump i would try to stay away from viaAqua if you can afford a better pump it would be well worth it in the long run. Like lordofthereef said you could put a value on the return and if its too much for the overflow turn it down. Good luck!

reef_keeper
03/01/2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks for all the feed back its great to get some help. its hard to find around here. i have a 46 bow front and this fuge is 20 gallon long. Its not the first time i've been told not to go with viaAqua before maybe i'll re-think that one. So i could just run the overflow tube straight into the fuge with a sock covering the end. I like that better than the bio balls any how

gokarter88
03/02/2010, 05:37 PM
good size tank got any pics? yeah the sock would be fine. also your going to need a more powerful return pump too. i would at least have 500gph.

reef_keeper
03/02/2010, 05:48 PM
i'll take pictures soon. really nothing spectacular. im working on a better way to filter my water. lots of people say pumps are nice. but to me they just seem like a flood waiting to happen haha. im not real sure what fittings and what not i need for it. im learing. if i were to get a pump rated 500gph would i also need to get a different overflow or will my PF-300 work?

gokarter88
03/07/2010, 01:17 PM
sumps are great and if it is set up right you wont flood. yeah if the overflow is rated for only 300 gph then yes.