PDA

View Full Version : QT'ing coral and a couple other questions

jimrawr
03/01/2010, 05:59 PM
Ok, so my tank is devoid of any fish right now, but I have plenty of dinoflagellates. The only sure fire way it seems to get rid of them is to do a lights out period of 7 days. Well, as luck would have it, I am going on vacation next week so its a good time to do it.

Firstly I will move all coral into a QT tank, and I will move my HQI lighting over onto the new tank. For QTing the corals, do I need anything other than lights, powerhead, heater? I dont need to skim, correct? They will be in there around 11 days total. I have some acans, lobo, scolys, candy cane, ricordea, cap. Thats about it. Maybe I am asking a retarded question, but these coral will not produce any ammonia right? There wont be anything at al in the tank except the coral. No live rock, no filtration, no substrate.. Nada..

Now for my main tank, the only thing I have left in there is a clean up crew which is mostly snails with some crabs, and 4 shrimp. The only light they will receive is natural light, which is not bad in that area since tank is right next to a sliding door. Is this OK? Also while I am gone I dont plan on feeding, but will the CUC survive? Maybe I should feed a few flakes every 2-3 days? Also what about skimming? Without any coral or fish in the tank, is there any reason to skim? It would be easier without skimming since I wont have to worry about the cup over flowing while we are gone.

Thanks for the help

jimrawr
03/01/2010, 09:09 PM
help plzzzz