PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Eel on DD

kirkaz
03/01/2010, 06:12 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=83109

Can't say that I've ever seen one of these in the hobby...Maxing out at a mere 6 feet.:fun5: Not that pretty, but what a monster.

LukFox
03/01/2010, 06:19 PM
I love how it looks right now, but I googled it and the pattern on adults isn't as clean. If only it stayed as it is now (size and all)!

Korrine
03/01/2010, 06:25 PM
Well definitely be a beast, that's for sure :eek2:

Mrrealmadrid
03/01/2010, 06:58 PM
I would love to see a pic of that thing a 6'

Caliburst
03/01/2010, 08:50 PM
"semi-aggressive"? I wouldnt stick my hand in that tank..

LisaD
03/02/2010, 03:56 AM
It looks a lot like my Brazilian dragon moray around the head, even though it's not in the same genus. Anyone else think that eel looks more like a Muraena than a Gymnothorax?

BTW, I found this interesting link, where a diver in the habitat of that eel describes its personality, as well as that of others in the region:

http://www.seafriends.org.nz/issues/res/pk/moray_eels.htm

I am not advocating approaching eels bare-handed and offering to let them bite you, but I did think this was an interesting piece, good photos too.

Caliburst
03/02/2010, 07:29 AM
A moray bite has to be nasty. I dont think oral hygiene is high on their priority list.

Mrrealmadrid
03/02/2010, 01:07 PM
lol... only if they have a bunch of cleaner shrimp... then it might not be as bad.... I saw a video of a cleaner going to work on a dragon eel... It was pretty cool to see a huge eel sitting still and the shrimp doing its job....

A moray bite has to be nasty. I dont think oral hygiene is high on their priority list.

Stickboy97
03/02/2010, 10:15 PM
WOW, did you see that price? for that kind of money there are many other better looking eels... IMO

Kynigos
03/02/2010, 11:15 PM
Looks? Who cares about looks. I want rare. In all honesty that particular specimen is a good combination of both traits.

LukFox
03/03/2010, 12:26 AM
It looks a lot like my Brazilian dragon moray around the head, even though it's not in the same genus. Anyone else think that eel looks more like a Muraena than a Gymnothorax?

BTW, I found this interesting link, where a diver in the habitat of that eel describes its personality, as well as that of others in the region:

http://www.seafriends.org.nz/issues/res/pk/moray_eels.htm

I am not advocating approaching eels bare-handed and offering to let them bite you, but I did think this was an interesting piece, good photos too.

It actually looks a lot like a purple mouth moray to me. The pattern is similar to a Brazilian dragon, but the shape looks like G. vicinus I think.

Also I can't believe that guy stuck his hand out for a big Enchelycore to nibble! It seems most eels aren't going to tear up a hand on a good day, but that's a lot of risk with a mouth like that. Good find though! First hand experiences (haha) like that can be very helpful when determining which eels might be safe for a tank. In general it seems most eels I've found to be gentle in the ocean are also reported to be good with tank mates in captivity.