What do you think?
new tank 4 weeks old
0 ammonia
thriving crabs and shrimp and snail

1st pic is of my live rock 15-18lbs
2nd pic is live rock with the addition of dry rock 50-60 lbs roughly

a-T-m
03/02/2010, 08:47 AM
It'll take additional time to finish cycling since there is a lot of dry rock. You could add a hardy fish to aid the cycle, maybe a damsel (i know they get bad reps, but my domino gets along well in my reef. I'd avoid yellow tails) or ocerallis clown.

Chiefsurfer
03/02/2010, 08:51 AM
What was the highest ammonia spike, and when did you add the dry rock?

I would avoid damsels or clowns as first additions, just because they can get territorial, especially upon first addition. If you want to aid cycling, I'd go with a raw shrimp from the supermarket.

BTW, tank looks good, but you will want to change the placement of those powerheads. Either at the top pointing down, or bottom pointing up.

footballdude2k3
03/02/2010, 09:22 AM
+1 not adding a fish yet, use the shrimp

Allbread
03/02/2010, 09:42 AM
What are your nitrite and nitrate levels? Did the nitrite spike?

Vin7250
03/02/2010, 09:51 AM
bad advice to put a fish in a very new most likely not cycled tank!!!!! and trust me when i tell you damsels are not the way to go IMO. +1 on not adding any, use a raw shrimp. Have patients this is the part of the hobby when you can watch your tank mature and become ready to hold fish. Use this as a time to play with rock work and get used to testing and check for leaks....etc.

spw4949
03/02/2010, 09:55 AM
1st question is did your tank fully cycle? The addition of damsels IMHO is somewhat archaeic, LR eliminates the need to do that, damsels are nasty & in a tank that size would cause nothing but problems..........with that said if your tank is fully cycled the addition of dry rock will not create another cycle, that "dead" rock will become live over time but will not re-cycle your tank......so if your tank did cycle you can start slowly adding livestock.......

Chiefsurfer
03/02/2010, 09:57 AM
^That's why I asked about the ammonia spike, and I was only asking when the rock was cycled to know if bacteria had colonized or not yet. If it did, he can likely add 4 fish right off. If it went in after the cycle, or right at the end, he would have to add slow if he did not jump start with shrimp.

hugecoltsfan
03/02/2010, 10:09 AM
The ammonia did spike already. The nitrates and nitrites are with in great parameters the exact number I couoldn't tell you off the top of my head. I am thinking about waiting untill the dry rock show signs of life like when it starts to go green is when I might add something but I am happy with watching the crabs and shrimp right now. I am hoping by the middle of April to look into 2 clowns.

Vin7250
03/02/2010, 10:11 AM
now thats the ticket hugecoltsfan..... keep cycling it for another few months. Like to see a newbie with patients.

hugecoltsfan
03/02/2010, 10:21 AM
How does the flow look?
2 koralia 4's (pointing at the front face and the back face)
1 maxijet 600 (behind the rocks pointing at then)
Also my fluval 304 hitting the top of the rocks
and the Maxijet 1200 that the protein skimmer is using

spw4949
03/02/2010, 10:58 AM
Seems like some serious flow....what size tank is it? If your ammonia & nitrites are 0 & you have nitrates present then your tank has cycled.......

hugecoltsfan
03/02/2010, 11:09 AM
its a 65 gallon

Jstdv8
03/02/2010, 11:12 AM
Your surface looks really smooth in the picture. IMO the koralias need to have the cone fronts taken off. The beauty of koralias is their ability to get water moving in a wide area as opposed to one general direction like most other brands. Putting the cones on limits what they can do.
I'd move them up towards the top just below where a 10%water change level would be and then adjust then until you get quite a bit of rippling on the surface. With big jets and a smaller tank you will probably want to bounce the flow off of the front of the tank to help it disperse even more. Very few corals are going to like the kind of directed flow you are putting on the LR right now. plus if you move them up theres less wires showing :)

spw4949
03/02/2010, 11:25 AM
I would agree, surface agitation will help with protein build up at the surface of the water,also IMO I think that the koralias tend to look less "intrusive" when they are mounted on the back wall.......your LR structure looks good but might look better if you can "open" it up a little, add caves & places for fish to swim through, def off to a good start though & sounds like patience won't be an issue of yours.......

hugecoltsfan
03/02/2010, 12:39 PM
So point one down and one up on the back of the tank

spw4949
03/02/2010, 12:59 PM
That would be my suggestion but with that said it's your tank so if you like them on the sides then leave them there but I would point 1 down & 1 up yes..........

Tomaric
03/02/2010, 01:13 PM
Looks clean and pretty.