PDA

View Full Version : RBTA Throws Up! WHY?

huskysglare1
03/02/2010, 05:32 PM
My RBTA has been throwing up its meals lately. I feed it small pieces of frozen shrimp every 3 days. I bought the shrimps at a grocery store. It ate a couple of weeks ago, but it's starting to throw up every time i feed it. Should i try getting her silverside? The piece i feed it isn't bigger than it's mouth. it's small, the size of the tip of your pinky. it swallows the shrimp and then spits it out later.

Please help.

arioch
03/02/2010, 05:51 PM
The way I understand it, BTAs tend to "filterfeed" a lot for zooplankton-sized organisms, and do not usually subsist entirely on large chunk sized food (being that it will rarely be able to catch them in the first place). I would try to spot-feed mysis or cyclopeeze and see what it does, first.

How does the BTA look, healthwise, otherwise?

huskysglare1
03/02/2010, 06:03 PM
It's small and very bright pink. I think it was bleached. I got it for $20. the LFS says it's sick. I got it about a month ago. i feed it shrimps and it got bigger. the tentacle got longer and expanded. however, about a week ago, it's started to spit out the shrimps. I kept the cut part of the shrimps in the freezer for about 2 weeks now. maybe it's old?

NexDog
03/02/2010, 06:25 PM
Every anenome I ever fed died. They don't need food if they have zooxanthellae. If it is bleached you shouldn't be giving it silversides or shrimp. At the most blends it and squirt with a turkey baster. If you can get some kind of container to place over the RBTA before feeding that will increase chances of it grabbing enough. But generally strong lighting, good water and a hosted clown is all you need.

arioch
03/02/2010, 09:13 PM
I think it's a bad idea to host a clown in an already stressed anemone, particularly one that's small. I mean, unless you plan to raise a baby perc or something.

Dedicated feeding of mashed up food (or like, arctipods or frozen cyclopeeze) would be my bet. Also make sure it's getting light. (And not wussy pcfl, either)