PDA

View Full Version : Brown Sand Algae carpet stuff?

silentcivilian
03/02/2010, 06:46 PM
Ok, I had this in my old 20G, and I always assumed it was due to poor flow. But its starting to sprout up in my newer tank, and in the corners only on the forward portion of the glass, not on the back portion of the tank. What is the best way to remedy this? Is it damaging?? Should I take immediate action against it?

Ive heard for this the best way to go about is Vodka dosing... is this the best way to go about it?

silentcivilian
03/02/2010, 06:48 PM
Just as a note, I scraped the sand out less than 24hours prior to this picture, assuming removing the mass of it would assist it in going away.. so these pictures were white sand id say 16hours ago.. and the carpet is back in that time frame.

The_Codfather
03/02/2010, 07:32 PM
Is it slimy to the touch? If so it's Cyano and dosing vodka would only be feeding it. are you using RO/DI?.. What are your water prams?

The_Codfather
03/02/2010, 07:44 PM
If you don't know.. Give it a poke and report back

silentcivilian
03/02/2010, 09:52 PM
Well, I went to go poke the big patch.. and its gone.. the sand goby who wouldnt swim near it.. ate it all.. im sure he is upside down in his cave moaning from eating all that.. but i did go kinda prod the smaller patch.. it doesnt seem slimey at all, in fact its like solid carpet like, you can roll it up and everything..

The_Codfather
03/02/2010, 10:46 PM
It is unlikely that the goby is actually eating cyano-bacteria. Most sand-sifting gobies take in mouthfuls of sand and sift through it to isolate microfauna that live within it. Because they are compelled to seek out their food in this fashion, they will inadvertently take in cyano as well. However, they would in all probability reject this organism and release it back into the water column.