PDA

View Full Version : T - Lighting and a Reef tank?

Psideways
03/02/2010, 08:43 PM
OK, So I have a general question to start. What is the difference between T-5, T-8, T-10, and T-12? Is that just a power thing, or something like that?

The other question that I have is that I want to sent up a 40 gal. breeder SPS tank. I like the idea of LED's, but they are just not quit there yet in my option.

I would like to use two Halids, in combination with VHO. Here the problem rises. I live in Redding, CA and in the summer time it can get up to 120 F for a couple weeks. So, with out blowing out the bank running my A/C and a chiller, what I PREY you is the best alternative!

I want great color over fast growth to add to the mix.

I was thinking a mix of T's of some sort, in combination with maybe a 150 w halide.

What do you reefers think?

Your option would be greatly appreciated!
Cheer's Warren

philneuss
03/02/2010, 11:11 PM
The "T" signifies the diameter of the lamp. T-5 is .5 inches, T-12 is 1.2 inches in diameter.

duane9
03/03/2010, 09:16 AM
personally I like the t-5 setup, been using it for over two years on a 75 gallon. No problems. I use ReefGeek.com for the bulbs, plus his prices for additives are very good. Greg gives awesome advice to help with the correct bulb set-up.

maynardjames
03/03/2010, 10:18 AM
have been using t5 only setup for 75 then 120 reef. works great for me. have clams & lps.
i dont have any sps but i think i could with no problem midway or higher in tank. clams are on sand & doing great. have 6 bulb overdriven t5 fixture 48"