PDA

View Full Version : Dual probe pH controller?

jb61264
03/03/2010, 12:14 AM
Wondering if there is controller on the market that has dual pH probes? I am about to start up a calcium reactor and it makes sense to me that one would want to do pH in the calcium reactor and then also in the tank...does a dual pH probe setup make sense in this situation or is this stupid overkill?

Untamed12
03/03/2010, 12:38 AM
Any of the commonly used aquarium controllers will handle multiple pH probes. My only experience is with Aquatronica, which I don't recommend. If I had to do it again, I would go with Profilux...but there are lots of options.

IMO, a Ca reactor should be run with a pH probe and controller. I can't believe that people do without one. It gives you full control over your reactor.

I also have a pH probe in the sump that just tells me what the tank is doing. It is interesting, but not that important. I began dripping Kalk at night so that I could watch how the daily pH cycle was affected. I learned a lot by watching what happens with tank pH when various things are done to the system...but the tank pH is what it is...kind of like watching the ORP move around...

jb61264
03/03/2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the info Untamed12...I have a pH/ORP controller for my calcium reactor but didn't plan on using the ORP as all the reading I've done on it really points to it not being something that you can really use for making adjustments to tank parameters...it just "is what it is"....where pH is definitely of interest and adjustable. I'll look into the Profilux, thanks for the rec!