PDA

View Full Version : A new fish this spring

silverfly
03/03/2010, 07:26 AM
Ok, my 120 qt is being re set up in an out building with a load of other reef equiptment. The DT is still in the house.lol.
With all you guys talking about getting new fish i think i'd like to add one more.
Heres what i have-

sps, lps, softies,crabs, shrimp, snails

2 false percs
1 midas blenny
1 mandarin
1 moorish idol
1 regal angel
1 boxfish
1 yellow tang

seems alot maybe. Sometimes i think more blue fish or perhaps red fish.

This is what i like-

3 anthias(or a small group)
chevron tang
powder blue
purple tang
fire fish
pair of blue throat triggers-crosshatch i love but too pricey for a pair
bicolor angel(always loved but reef safe?)
potters angel
emperator angel or other large angel that would get on with my regal(maybe i'm asking for too much space-wise?)
copperband

I'm thinking about ONE from the list. Mabe theres a cool fish that i havent thought of?

thanks guys

5h3rW1N
03/03/2010, 09:35 AM
wow is this all going in your 180??

5h3rW1N
03/03/2010, 09:35 AM
i think its too much bio-load

5h3rW1N
03/03/2010, 09:44 AM
purple tang ehh i would put it as a last fish..
chevron tang is beautiful when small but when it turns to an adult they turn black..
bi-color angel "Not reef safe"...
blue throat triggerfish a yes but... say goodbye to all your crabs shrimps and snails...
Emperor Angel will do best with SPS they dont seem to bother them but the others just crosss your fingers..

silverfly
03/03/2010, 09:45 AM

As i say, i'd just like to pick one. Any ideas?

kvosstra
03/03/2010, 09:46 AM
I'm thinking about ONE from the list. Mabe theres a cool fish that i havent thought of?

I think Anthias are always a good choice, active fish that add a lot of color. I'd choose them, probably 1 male and 3 or 4 females.

Certainly, you could add the firefish, or royal grama, or other small baslett as well, just up to you.

Best,
-Kyle

silverfly
03/03/2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks. Which one should i go with?

silverfly
03/03/2010, 09:48 AM
Yes the basslets are nice.

silverfly
03/03/2010, 09:49 AM
I havent thought about wrasses either

silverfly
03/03/2010, 09:51 AM
Kyle, do you think i could stretch to the anthias and a fire fish or similar or is that too much of a load?

5h3rW1N
03/03/2010, 10:00 AM
i like the ventralis anthias they have a nice pinkish and yellow tone. you can also get the sunburst anthias, or squarespot anthias. A parvirostris anthias are beautiful too. and a bimacuatus anthias.

silverfly
03/03/2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks. I'll have to do some research!
So i could go witha group of smallish fish or a couple of small character fish-basslets etc.
How about the one large fish idea? Could i do a trigger. A tang-i only have a yellow.
I do love angels.
Thanks for the good ideas so far. I'm looking forward to setting up the qt.

5h3rW1N
03/03/2010, 10:06 AM
hear are some wrasses i can recommend hope it works clown fairy wrasse, McCosker's flasher wrasse (paracheilinus mccoskeri), scotts fairy wrasse (cirrhilbrus scottorum), tono's fairy wrasse (cirrhilabrus tonozukai) very very nice fish. and last one is my favorite labouti fairy wrasse (chirrhilabrus laboutei).

silverfly
03/03/2010, 10:23 AM
Cool-i'll check those out.

I love this-
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/12/aquarium_album/anthias.jpg

What sort of anthias is it?

5h3rW1N
03/03/2010, 11:52 AM
Cool-i'll check those out.

I love this-
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/12/aquarium_album/anthias.jpg

What sort of anthias is it?

i can't open it up its forbidden what is it?????:fish2:

silverfly
03/03/2010, 11:55 AM
looks purple with a yellow stripe on top and a yellow tail

rgonzalez
03/03/2010, 12:40 PM
Too much load? I think it depends on your filtration. If you've got a good setup to keep nitrates down and an established tank, then load it up baby!

Look at the black cap basslet - one of my favorites. Maybe a marine betta, red-striped anthias, flasher wrasse, magnificent foxface :)

Rainfords
03/03/2010, 12:50 PM
CROSSHATCH :thumbsup:

snorvich
03/03/2010, 01:08 PM
hear are some wrasses i can recommend hope it works clown fairy wrasse, McCosker's flasher wrasse (paracheilinus mccoskeri), scotts fairy wrasse (cirrhilbrus scottorum), tono's fairy wrasse (cirrhilabrus tonozukai) very very nice fish. and last one is my favorite labouti fairy wrasse (chirrhilabrus laboutei).

Well, C. scottorum is very aggressive and C. solorensis is aggressive but not quite as much as Scott's. If your tank is tightly covered, P. mcoskeri is nice but better as a pair (which you have room for). Personally, I would recommend a firefish or pair of firefish.

kvosstra
03/03/2010, 01:09 PM
CROSSHATCH
Unfortunately, I have to disagree with any of the triggers...they get large, are aggressive, and will be more trouble than they are worth. The Crosshatch males get 8-9" easily., and I have seen in many cases where they start attacking other fish, in smaller tanks. These fish, tangs, angels, etc. get their fins ripped off, and are harassed.

This is the current list I believe
2 false percs
1 midas blenny
1 mandarin
1 moorish idol
1 regal angel
1 boxfish
1 yellow tang

If so, I'd stay away from large fish - you basically have 4 large fish, morish, regal, box, and the tang. I would get a shoal of anthias 4-5 of them, and then either a few grammas, basslets, flasher wrasses, etc.

If you do the royal grammas, I'd get 5 or more...seriously! They are fun little fish, and having a group of them will allow some neat interactions. I have 3 in my 40 breeder and they are the life of the tank!

Another idea would be to get a shoal of glass cardinals (apogon leptacanthus). Here are two pics of mine in my old 180g SPS reef. First shoaling in the open, then hiding in a staghorn...
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Z_cyj7O5i84/So7LveM4O_I/AAAAAAAABRg/RYmp6ujLgJM/s800/DSC_0894.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Z_cyj7O5i84/So7L8S_PnOI/AAAAAAAABTY/05fHNW6Fibc/s800/DSC_0982.JPG

Rainfords
03/03/2010, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=kvosstra;16699715]Unfortunately, I have to disagree with any of the triggers...they get large, are aggressive, and will be more trouble than they are worth. The Crosshatch males get 8-9" easily., and I have seen in many cases where they start attacking other fish, in smaller tanks. These fish, tangs, angels, etc. get their fins ripped off, and are harassed.QUOTE]

Hey if this happens you could set up a webcam and make millions by hosting glass cage fighting events! :bum:

You do have a good point, I just love crosshatch triggers.

silverfly
03/03/2010, 02:13 PM
lol.
Thanks for the input guys.
Hadnt thought of the betta Ramon. The pair of fire fish i like.
Could i do a few anthias plus another small fish? I'm liking the anthias idea. Maybe lyretails.

rgonzalez
03/03/2010, 02:49 PM
Lyretails get big - bartletts do not, but are more expensive. I like a few of the anthias and a small fish or pair of firefish...

How about a bluejaw?

How are your nitrates right now?

TampaReefer79
03/03/2010, 02:59 PM
Have you thought about the magnificent foxface? I don't like the foxface at all, but love the magnificent fox. I also love the scribbled rabbit...either would be cool in a 180.

silverfly
03/03/2010, 05:47 PM
love the ideas. NICE pics too.
Plenty of research to do!

silverfly
03/04/2010, 03:29 AM
Been looking. Dont want to go with a fox or rabbit. If i did go with another big fish i'd be thinking a smaller tang(chevron or kole), an angel or blue throat. I do like the idea of lots of small fish. Two fire fish sounds cool also. What about a harlequin tusk?
I'm gonna get a few lists and start to narrow it down. Fun!

silverfly
03/04/2010, 03:30 AM
Ramon, my nitrates are undetectable but i do a hell of alot of water changes.

Rainfords
03/04/2010, 11:43 AM
Blue eye kole tangs are one of my favorite as well as a nicely colored chevron.
Good luck I know it is hard to narrow it down when you have so many cool fish on your list.

silverfly
03/04/2010, 03:19 PM
Too many nice fish my friend