PDA

View Full Version : New sump

callioz
03/03/2010, 09:41 AM
I'm adding a 20gal sump to my 55gal tank
Can't decide on what size overflow box to go with-Eshopps 300gph or 800gph
I have a quiet one 2200 water pump that is rated 310gph at 4' head
The 800 seems to be to much and I'm leaning towards the 300.
Willing to buy a new return pump if needed.

I see some posts that say match the overflow with the return pump,

I read get a larger pump with ball valves,

Then I see the return pump controls the flow to the tank, so it's ok to have a larger overflow box and smaller rated return pump (don't get this one).

Starting to getting a handle on this sump stuff, just don't want to waste money and get the wrong overflow and pump

Been reading this forum for awhile now and finally jumped in and set up my first saltwater tank.

Now my 75gal planted tank is in danger of becoming my second.

Sugar Magnolia
03/03/2010, 09:55 AM
From what I understand you don't want to restrict your return by using a ball valve to reduce the flow back into the tank. You can T off the return so that some of it goes back into the sump.

IslandCrow
03/03/2010, 10:04 AM
Then I see the return pump controls the flow to the tank, so it's ok to have a larger overflow box and smaller rated return pump (don't get this one).

I didn't get this at first either, but it will make much more sense once you get the overflow and see how it works. For now, just take it for granted that the statement is true, so there's certainly no problem with getting the larger overflow for your tank.

That said, the 300 should be fine for your tank. I'm assuming that 300 means it's rated for up to 300gph. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a 600, which is a 1" return, but that's not really important. 4-5x your tank volume going through the sump usually works pretty well, so that would be just under 300gph for a tank your size. If your pump is rated for 310gph at 4' head, you probably won't outperform your overflow once you start putting twists and turns in the return line. Either way, I'd definitely put a ball valve on the return line. It doesn't hurt the pump to restrict the flow, so you'll certainly want that option. I've also always put a ball valve on the overflow line. You want to be careful restricting your overflow too much, as you never want your return pump outperforming your overflow, though the opposite is perfectly fine (and very desireable). Restricting the overflow a little can sometimes help quiet a noisy overflow line, though.

So, ball valve on the return line = necessary (or at least highly recommended)
Ball valve on the drain line = optional

Also, if you haven't been there already, check out Melevsreef.com (http://www.melevsreef.com). You have to do a little digging (I'd recommend using his search function), but he has some good information on sumps as well as many other do-it-yourself projects.

callioz
03/03/2010, 10:23 AM
Do people run other things, like reactors off the return pump.
My thinking is to run a T on the return line, With the use of ball valves, run a line to a reactor and a line to the sump to control flow.

IslandCrow
03/03/2010, 11:19 AM
Do people run other things, like reactors off the return pump.
My thinking is to run a T on the return line, With the use of ball valves, run a line to a reactor and a line to the sump to control flow.

I've never done this, but yes, I believe some people do. I can't really think of any reason not to, except it's going to restrict your overflow, so you may want to go with the larger overflow in this case.

callioz
03/03/2010, 12:03 PM
Restrict Overflow?
If I buy a larger pump will I be good.

I guess my plan was to run a phosban reactor off the return line.

Getting a handle on things - baby steps
I'll go with the 300gph overflow box
Use my existing pump
Get that running to see how things work, and figure it out from there.

Originally I was going sump less in fear of floods, I live in an upstairs apartment.
After much reading on flood prevention and talking to people, I decided to give it a go.
Plus all that crap hanging on the tank is getting to me.

Chiefsurfer
03/03/2010, 01:17 PM
I have never heard of 4-5x the display through the sump. The rule of thumb I have always gone with is ABOUT 10x the SUMP volume turnover. 20G sump=200gph through the sump. This means the 300gph overflow and pump you have should be fine.

IslandCrow
03/03/2010, 02:39 PM
I'm sorry, you said return pump, and I was thinking drain line for some reason, which is where I've heard of this being done. Basically, you get free energy in that you use the gravity to "power" your reactor or skimmer. I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone using the return pump for a skimmer or reactor. I suppose it's possible, though.

Chief,
I've heard both rules of thumb. Neither are perfect, but using the tank size has always made a little more sense to me. I believe it's primarily based on optimizing skimmer throughput, but that obviously is going to depend on the skimmer. The real answer is that you don't want so little water running through that you have stagnant areas in your sump (where your rule of thumb is actually more appropriate), and you don't want so much running through that you have Niagra falls. I've found either rule of thumb to work well enough for most typical setups (where as we just saw, the results are usually pretty close in both cases). A buddy of mine had a 26g tank with a 50g sump. Neither rule of thumb works very well in his case.

callioz
03/03/2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks Islandcrow for your help
Just ordered everything, thought my head was going to explode when I started to get together the plumbing parts. I got a ball valve, and didn't forget a union connector.
This should be fun, I'll take it slow
I do have a spare pump around for the reactor, so that's not a problem.

Now I have a week to relax.