PDA

View Full Version : Gel food from Instant Ocean

jmccown
03/03/2010, 01:54 PM
I got two free samples of this stuff from liveaquaria with my recent fish orders. It's a gel-based food that you squeeze out of the packet directly into the aquarium. I've offered it a few times and my fish are having a hard time taking it. I think mainly because it looks like strings of fish poop when it comes out it makes them think twice before nibbling on it - is it fish poo or food. I'd be hesitant too if McDonalds offered a hamburger that looked like a turd on a bun. Anyone else using this new stuff yet?

AquaKnight
03/03/2010, 02:02 PM
Just got this too on my DD order as well. It's pretty craptastic food. The first 5 ingredients, probably over 95%, are all junk. Soy, Wheat (these first two, probably representing over 75%), fish meal, krill, and brine. Nothing there to think it's a good food.

If I wanted something that crappy, I'd feed Tetra flakes :lmao:

GoingPostal
03/03/2010, 03:17 PM
Mine love it but I agree, probably not the healthiest food around, I feed it on busy days when I don't want to mess with frozen. My foxface just sucks it down.

michael_cb_125
03/03/2010, 05:58 PM
I order alot of fish and coral from the DD. I have gotten over 8 packs of this food from LA. I can honestly say that I do NOT feed this to my fish.

But if you look on the back you realize that it is made in Germany,,,,,,,,,,,,, so it must be good. ;)

~Michael

triggerfreak
03/04/2010, 08:28 AM
Yeah i agree jason.My fish seem to not like it also.

StayPuft
03/04/2010, 08:30 AM
There's a reason why they give free samples of it so often. Because it's crap.

Neko
03/04/2010, 08:35 AM
But if you look on the back you realize that it is made in Germany,,,,,,,,,,,,, so it must be good. ;)

~Michael

"Made in Germany. You know the Germans always make good stuff!" :lol:

I was looking forward to getting this stuff in tomorow! Now I'm a bit dissapointed to hear it's crappy food haha.

ReefSafari
03/04/2010, 09:03 AM
Funny you mention it, as I just received a "Free" Sample as well, I tried it on two of my tanks, with several kinds of fish, Clowns, Chromis, wrasses, ect...not one of them liked it, I felt like doing a water change after feeding it, as all the fish attempted to eat, but every one of them spit the food out as soon as they tried it, Luckily I only gave them a little taste....Not one of my fish would eat it...Its a cool idea, and I remember seeing simular types of "PacketGelType" foods many years ago...but it never seemed to take off...I wonder why they are trying it again?

namxas
03/04/2010, 11:44 AM
our fish didn't like the sample either...

jmccown
03/04/2010, 02:06 PM
So it's not just my fish. I think it's safe to say that IO should stick to the salt business.

SirusX1721
03/06/2010, 02:29 PM
I got these as a free sample and my fish love it. Percs, Watchmen, Chalk Bass, Chromis and Firefish. Here and there I'll throw in a pack, but they always eat it up.

Mental1
03/06/2010, 06:04 PM
Mine eat it, ingredients are not impressive, but as GoingPostal says it rox on the busy mornings.

Mattik
03/06/2010, 06:19 PM
I got some too. Won't use it again. It just glops together and sinks to the bottom.....seems like an algae food more than a fish food.