PDA

View Full Version : 29 Gallon BioCube

BigBen14
03/04/2010, 09:32 AM
Hi Again,

So I decided to not get the snowflake eel and put in such a small tank. So now I'm going for a reef tank and wondering how many of fish should I put in,

(sidenote) I haven't even got water in the tank yet. I'm just trying to see what all I am gonna need.

Also any tips on some good starter fish would be very helpful.

inTankLLC
03/04/2010, 11:19 AM
3-4 small fish. Gobys, clown fish, chromis...

BigBen14
03/04/2010, 11:58 AM
would you recommend getting a Dragonet for a first time saltwater fish?

mr9iron
03/04/2010, 01:36 PM
would you recommend getting a Dragonet for a first time saltwater fish?

Absolutely not! That is unless the dragonet you get is previously being target fed. I really don't think that a dragonet will be able to flourish in a nano tank. The caveat would be if you had a refugium hooked to the tank and pods were breeding and flowing back into the tank. I would hate to see the fish starve to death. IMHO.

BigBen14
03/04/2010, 01:58 PM
Ok thanks gonna be awhile before anything since I still need to get live rock first.

How many pounds should I start off with on the BioCube 29?
My LPS said to not use dead rock because it was like putting "X" amount of dead fish in. Since live rock is kinda high ill probably going to have to buy a small one and wait 2-3 weeks till the next one. Will that be alright?

Still researching but tell me if I am wrong on the order off setting the tank up.

1. Live Sand
2. Water
3.Let water clear
4. Live rock
5. invertebrates
6. coral and fish

Is that anywhere close

mr9iron
03/04/2010, 02:15 PM
Ok thanks gonna be awhile before anything since I still need to get live rock first.

How many pounds should I start off with on the BioCube 29?
My LPS said to not use dead rock because it was like putting "X" amount of dead fish in. Since live rock is kinda high ill probably going to have to buy a small one and wait 2-3 weeks till the next one. Will that be alright?

Still researching but tell me if I am wrong on the order off setting the tank up.

1. Live Sand
2. Water
3.Let water clear
4. Live rock
5. invertebrates
6. coral and fish

Is that anywhere close

You would probably be ok with about 35lbs of live rock. I would add the sand, water and rock at the same time to begin the nitrogen cycle. After it's been set up a week begin testing your water and make sure your parameters are in check. There are several great articles on this in the chemistry forum. After the tank cycles I would add livestock slowly. I would start with a fish, cuc and other members of the clean up crew. Do weekly or biweekly waters changes. You will have to decide how much you want to change but personally I would do 5 gallons every other week. The biggest thing in this hobby is patience. You need to keep an eye on the temperature of your tank as this can be of some concern is some nanos. High temps are what wiped out my nano and after a year's break I decided to start over.

BigBen14
03/04/2010, 02:23 PM
If I dont have any live rock yet should I wait till I get some or go ahead?

BigBen14
03/04/2010, 04:03 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=393
Since Im a "newbie" can someone tell me the difference between all these different live rocks. Is it just the type of coral that will come out?

mr9iron
03/04/2010, 04:38 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=393
Since Im a "newbie" can someone tell me the difference between all these different live rocks. Is it just the type of coral that will come out?

You obviously need to do alot more research. Start with the newbie forums and learn the basics. Liverock is collected from different locations around the world such as Fiji, Vanuatu, Marshall Islands, and so on. Like I said earlier, add the saltwater, live rock and sand at the same time. The corals wont "grow" out of the rock, unless it was already attached to the rock when you purchased it.

BigBen14
03/04/2010, 05:01 PM
Alright did some research and correct me if I am wrong but the live rock from different places mainly changes the shape, density, and color.

mr9iron
03/04/2010, 07:39 PM
Alright did some research and correct me if I am wrong but the live rock from different places mainly changes the shape, density, and color.

Yes, that is correct.

BigBen14
03/05/2010, 09:03 AM
I may need to move to the other thread for this question, but try here first.

I was thinking of putting a anemone in my tank once It was up and running. I saw you have to wait 6-8 months after the cycle before doing anything with the anemone. So should I go ahead and get some live rock and clown fish before anemone or wait 6-8 months before I do any creatures in the tank.

marius03
03/05/2010, 09:39 AM
IMO a 29 gallon BC is too small for anemone. It might not seem that way at first but over time they can grow very large and take over your tank and just be a nuisance to the other corals you keep. As for waiting 6-8 months before adding "creatures" to the tank, if you're adding an anemone then yes I would wait that long or at least long enough to your tank is very stable. But after your cycle is over, it would be fine to add some soft corals and a couple of fish. Good luck!

BigBen14
03/05/2010, 09:49 AM
Alright thanks. That is one thing I still do not understand to well. Is the cycle started by the live sand, live rock, or both?
The cycle is the start of the biological filter....right

BigBen14
03/05/2010, 01:58 PM
Livestock Line-Up ( If you see anything that you think might be better or not work please say so.)

Clown Fish -Gold Stripe Maroon or Black & White False Percula(( Thinking Pair in far future))

Blennies- Lawnmower Orange Spotted and Scooter Blenny

Goby- 2 Firefish Goby

Inverts- Electric Blue Hermit Crab Electric Orange Hermit Crab Horseshow Crab Emerald Crab

Maybe a anemone in the far far far far future

cleaner snails, cleaner snail

Still working on the Coral but so far is that to much?

ANy thoughts Welcome

MattNoyes
03/05/2010, 07:49 PM
I might be wrong but I am pretty sure everything I have read about horseshoe crabs is that they need a big (70g+) tank and even then they are hard to keep alive. Also remember they are sand sifters and will move your rocks.

BigBen14
03/08/2010, 08:30 AM
Hmmm The site I was looking to buy said 20 gallons but I will look a little more into them. Thanks

Any more ideas or tank to full?

dockery07
03/08/2010, 08:48 AM
Horseshoe crab get big and they are very messy, your rock work would tumble

BigBen14
03/08/2010, 09:31 AM
lol Ok well I won't be getting one them. Any other ideas?

Clown Fish -Gold Stripe Maroon or Black & White False Percula(( Thinking Pair in far future))

Blennies- Lawnmower Orange Spotted and Scooter Blenny

Goby- 2 Firefish Goby

Inverts- Electric Blue Hermit Crab Electric Orange Hermit Crab Emerald Crab

Maybe a anemone in the far far far far future

cleaner snails, cleaner shrimp

Also emerald crab-coral safe?

BigBen14
03/08/2010, 09:56 AM
Also is There any mods I really need to do?

I have took out the regular biocube filter and replaced it with the biocube skimmer.

Any other mods I should do before I put the live sand and water in?

fstar25
03/08/2010, 12:53 PM
There are several possible mods for the Biocube that are helpful. Do a google search for biocube mods or search this forum.

If you stick to the number of fish you have posted I think the consensus will be that is a good bioload for this size tank if added slowlyl.

Good luck

blennydude
03/08/2010, 10:03 PM
I would pass on the maroon clown. They can get very territorial and like to have about 30 gal to themselves, or they will terrorize any passive fish. Stick to a false, or true perc, they are less aggressive. I would not put a anemone in there either, too small and stock light is not suitable. After a year and your skills are better, maybe a flower anemone. They stay small, but are not a host nem. I have the same tank you have, first thing you want to do is toss the bioballs in the closet and use live rock rubble instead.