PDA

View Full Version : Adding sand

travis32
03/04/2010, 10:11 AM
I'm contemplating this because now before I add fish. I'm not set on doing it, but, I'm getting a feeling that 20 lbs of live sand in my tank may not be enough (with 80lbs cc underneith).

I don't mind the cc, it makes it look more authentic ocean having shells and stuff laying around. However, my 20 lbs of sand created around a half inch deep sand bed, if that in some places. I'm thinking another 20 lbs just around my rock structures would help create some areas that are 3 - 4inches deep and leave other areas I can't get to due to the rock only half or so inch deep of sand.

1) Would it be a bad idea to add live sand now?
2) How do I add sand without creating a sand storm in the water?
3) Will new sand or what's in new unestablished sand damage any of the corals, or snails / crabs that I have?
4) Will adding new send set back my water and rock development, if so how much longer would it delay things. Tomorrow my tank will be 4 weeks old and all paramaters should still be zero for the 3rd week I've tested.

Is this a bad idea?

thegrun
03/04/2010, 10:40 AM
1. No problem, but only add 1/2" at a time. I would keep it at 2" or less total. I prefer a 1" SSB.
2. Wash the sand in a 5 gallon bucket before you put it into the tank. Put 4" or so into the bucket and blast it with a hose at full flow until the water runs clear. After all the sand is clean, turn off your pumps and add it with one of those oil change funnels (be sure it is new and clean).
3. No, but only add a 1/2 at a time to allow the organisms living in your current sand to move up in the sand layer. Wait 3 days between additions.
4. No